MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

4 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Two brilliant GM's dealing with each other. Marriage made in heaven!😄 I'm just glad Cease will cease to be an item on this board. Or will he? 

If the Padres are out of it at the deadline you can be sure that Cease's name won't cease to arise again.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sox fans are trying to talk themselves into the idea that this is a good trade. 

The 2 headliners are top 75 by FG. Thorpe 85 with MLB. Law has neither. Not sure about BA.

Extremely underwhelming imo compared to what they were saying Cease was worth.

They scoffed at the idea of a quantity package. They scoffed at the idea that they would get a ML player in return. They were completely wrong every step of the way on this.

The report was that the Os offered the Burnes deal plus another player for Cease. That deal is equal to or better than what they got, depending on who that other player is. (I had guessed beavers but who knows)

Just hilarious.

I can’t believe this started with them asking for Holliday last trade deadline then to come down to Basallo/Mayo+. They seemingly just got. McDermott, Povich, Beavers, and Webb. Slightly better than McDermott, and Povich, but we couldn’t best what we didn’t have.

Overall, a laugh-laugh trade for us. The CWS didn’t get their haul, even with a perfect storm of ST, and the Yankees got outbid. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Alright, I just had to say something. Just too good not to.

I do think Zavala is the key to that deal. Real upside there. 

What’s the over/under for pages of apoplectic rage you’re going to generate over there by debating them on the quality of this versus the Burnes deal?

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I can’t believe this started with them asking for Holliday last trade deadline then to come down to Basallo/Mayo+. They seemingly just got. McDermott, Povich, Beavers, and Webb. Slightly better than McDermott, and Povich, but we couldn’t best what we didn’t have.

Overall, a laugh-laugh trade for us. The CWS didn’t get their haul, even with a perfect storm of ST, and the Yankees got outbid. 

I guess we could have gotten Cease for Hall, Ortiz and Kjerstad/Cowser (but not Hall, Ortiz and Norby/Stowers) plus spare parts -- or something along those lines -- but that Elias wasn't willing to go there.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

What’s the over/under for pages of apoplectic rage you’re going to generate over there by debating them on the quality of this versus the Burnes deal?

What are they going to say? We were right about this and they were wrong. They valued him like 2022 Cease and we told them that no one else would and that was correct. They got a few upside pieces, which is good for them. I honestly think this is a good package for them and it could become really good.

OTOH, I wouldn’t rely on them developing these guys.

12 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I guess we could have gotten Cease for Hall, Ortiz and Kjerstad/Cowser (but not Hall, Ortiz and Norby/Stowers) plus spare parts -- or something along those lines -- but that Elias wasn't willing to go there.

Most of the board was.

Elias is the better poker player.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The report was that the Os offered the Burnes deal plus another player for Cease. That deal is equal to or better than what they got, depending on who that other player is. (I had guessed beavers but who knows)

I supported trading for Cease, but I would rather have Burnes for one year for what Elias paid than two years of Cease for that plus another low level prospect.  Burnes is simply a much superior pitcher.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yup. This is great news for me. Cease won't be a failure on the Orioles, and he won't be a band aid for the Yankees or any other AL East team. The White Sox fans are humbled with the return he got. And I don't have to listen to any more crazy over the top trade offers for him on this message board.

I'm perfectly happy with Burns and I'm hoping for a healthy Bradish at some point this season. I'm also content with Wells and Irvin.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I supported trading for Cease, but I would rather have Burnes for one year for what Elias paid than two years of Cease for that plus another low level prospect.  Burnes is simply a much superior pitcher.

I would rather have both.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Most of the board was.

Elias is the better poker player.

The deal they got really isn’t different than this. They just didn’t get the close to or already ML ready guys. This deal makes more sense for them though.

55 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I'm guessing that Elias wasn't willing to give up one of Cowser/Kjerstad/Westburg.  If he was, CWS were just stupid.

• Upvote 1