MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Just saw BA has Thorpe 58. Highest I have seen him ranked. 

I'm pretty sure someone there said Thorpe might be better than Cease this year. Thorpe has like 30 innings at AA.

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

This.  They have insane talent at MLB level and MiLB level. 

Well, they did, but now Soto, Snell, and Hader are gone, so that probably costs them about 10 wins. This move doesn’t make much sense from their end. They’re the fourth best team in the division. 

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm guessing that Elias wasn't willing to give up one of Cowser/Kjerstad/Westburg.  If he was, CWS were just stupid.

I don't know.  I mean he has to trade somebody soon.  There are too many position players and not enough pitching.  Dylan Cease was clearly the top arm to be had by trade, at least of the pitchers known to be available.  Now who do the O's trade and for whom?  I hope we don't have to wait all the way until the trade deadline to find out.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm guessing that Elias wasn't willing to give up one of Cowser/Kjerstad/Westburg.  If he was, CWS were just stupid.

I don't know.  I mean he has to trade somebody soon.  There are too many position players and not enough pitching.  Dylan Cease was clearly the top arm to be had by trade, at least of the pitchers known to be available.  Now who do the O's trade and for whom?  I hope we don't have to wait all the way until the trade deadline to find out.

6 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Rumors were they were asking for Westburg and it was a no go for Elias.

33 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Well, they did, but now Soto, Snell, and Hader are gone, so that probably costs them about 10 wins. This move doesn’t make much sense from their end. They’re the fourth best team in the division. 

If Os signed Soto, Snell, Hader do you think we’d win 111?  

They have talent at MLB and in their system.  Kudos to them for trying to win.

The Dodgers are leaps and bounds ahead of every team in MLB, should the other 29 just fold? 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If Os signed Soto, Snell, Hader do you think we’d win 111?  

They have talent at MLB and in their system.  Kudos to them for trying to win.

The Dodgers are leaps and bounds ahead of every team in MLB, should the other 29 just fold? 

If we were a 100 win team before acquiring those players, then absolutely. Soto was 5.5 rWAR, Snell 6.0 and Hader 2.4.

I said they were the FOURTH best team in their division. It seems crazy to me to jettison those 3 players and then make a move like this. 

17 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If we were a 100 win team before acquiring those players, then absolutely. Soto was 5.5 rWAR, Snell 6.0 and Hader 2.4.

I said they were the FOURTH best team in their division. It seems crazy to me to jettison those 3 players and then make a move like this. 

They were incredibly unlucky last year.  I imagine they will be in the thick of it this year. 

7 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure someone there said Thorpe might be better than Cease this year. Thorpe has like 30 innings at AA.

lol. Yea I saw that stupidity.

They spent the whole offseason saying how great Cease is and now a top 75ish prospect is all of a sudden just as good.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yet some on here think they are going to make him a UTI guy right now.

Problem is the rules don't let you start 6 infielders yet.

Westburg may very well be good enough to be an every day 3B or 2B or SS but we have other elite guys that are gonna challenge him for those slots.  Either on March 28th or not long thereafter.

So by this summer it is entirely possible he could be a "backup" for us by default right?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yet some on here think they are going to make him a UTI guy right now.

It is kind of absurd that that the three guys that might end up in front of Westburg are former #1 overall prospects and whatever Mayo ends up ranking. Just a wealth of riches.