MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

13 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Though this was interesing:

Braves, Chris Sale Agree To Two-Year Deal - MLB Trade Rumors

The Braves must be pretty confident in Sale's effectiveness/health for the next two years.

Are they going to use him in a “Hader” role?  Maybe this two year guarantee makes him happy being a reliever. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Mets just paid $10 million for Harrison Bader, a CF who posted a 69 OPS+ last year and negative rWAR. 

What in the world? 

Honestly, I kind of wish we had signed him to that deal, maybe even tacked on a team option for next year.

Why? Because:

Harrison Bader vs. LHPs

2023: .299/.361/.575

Career: .262/.331/.494

That would be a massive improvement over this:

Cedric Mullins vs. LHPs

2023: .233/.310/.398

Career: .229/.297/.359

A Mullins/Bader platoon in CF would have been pretty great, honestly. Oh well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Honestly, I kind of wish we had signed him to that deal, maybe even tacked on a team option for next year.

Why? Because:

Harrison Bader vs. LHPs

Cedric Mullins vs. LHPs

Interesting. That's some good context at least for why they targeted him. 

Just feels like there's no way other teams were in on him around $10 million. Why not just wait and grab him for 6 or 7? 

Just now, interloper said:

Interesting. That's some good context at least for why they targeted him. 

Just feels like there's no way other teams were in on him around $10 million. Why not just wait and grab him for 6 or 7? 

The true CF market is usually pretty thin and this year is no different, and Bader is very good defensively and he mashes lefties. It's a bit more than I expected him to get but probably still about right.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Mets just paid $10 million for Harrison Bader, a CF who posted a 69 OPS+ last year and negative rWAR. 

What in the world? 

Bader had negative WAR with Cincy, but was net positive for the year in both WARs. 0.6 rWAR, 1.0 fWAR. 

The defense is good enough, I think it's a decent deal. Maybe they think the bat will bounce back to what it was in STL.

Alright, the Yankees are finally in on Snell. Seems like everyone is afraid of signing that guy. But the Yanks missed on Yamamoto and traded a million pitchers. They probably won't let Snell get away from them. 

If you're SG, this is apparently a best-case scenario since it takes them out of the Cease running. But I'm not sure they were involved in that anyway. I don't particularly want Snell in the division, but the odds don't seem in his favor to repeat another 180 inning campaign. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Alright, the Yankees are finally in on Snell. Seems like everyone is afraid of signing that guy. But the Yanks missed on Yamamoto and traded a million pitchers. They probably won't let Snell get away from them. 

If you're SG, this is apparently a best-case scenario since it takes them out of the Cease running. But I'm not sure they were involved in that anyway. I don't particularly want Snell in the division, but the odds don't seem in his favor to repeat another 180 inning campaign. 

I’m not sure it takes them out but it likely does.

I don’t want Snell in the division but it will likely be a regrettable contract in 3 years. About if Snell, Rodon and Cole can give them 450-500 innings a year, that’s light out for them. Big if though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Why? Because:

Harrison Bader vs. LHPs

Cedric Mullins vs. LHPs

The O’s aren’t going to pay $10 mm for a guy who hits well against 30% of the pitchers.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s aren’t going to pay $10 mm for a guy who hits well against 30% of the pitchers.  

Obviously not, we'd have to take Craig Kimbrel back to the store if we did that and John already threw away the receipt.

We are the Baltimore Orioles after all, we simply can't go on wild offseason spending sprees like the Royals and Reds.

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Best case scenario for us is if Montgomery and Snell end up on teams like NYM, SFG, and LAA. Then hope Cease stays put in CWS. 

Gotta play that FA defense.