Framber Valdez vs everyone else

Billy F-Face3

Altuve's Astros have accomplished so much more than Buck's Orioles, but Hader gives me a little of an Alex Cobb on Manny's last team kind of feel.

Jim Crane does seem to have become more hands-on, and has burned through a lot of Luhnow's lieutenants, plus James Click as a temporary cardboard cutout of an analytical type GM.      I believe Dana Brown like Mike Elias is a scout with enough technical fluency to thrive, but I do wonder a little about HOU ongoing wonk resilience.

Mike Fast was the guy whose name I couldn't pinpoint the other day who Drellich's book characterized as "the better Sig" before Fast hopped to Atlanta for 2019 and on, where the onfield results have been spectacular, except that Bryce Harper is better than Spencer Strider.    Bill Firkus left during the playoffs.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikefast/

Altuve-Bregman leaving for '25 is kind of an undercard to the hope Soto leaves NYY.     In my heart I'd love Manny Machado to be the star repeating the Frobby gig because Brooks Robinson and Adley Rutschman are just too nice, but in my head Yordan Alvarez is the better actor for the role if the old stars leave and the very old stars aren't any good any more.     

Say it takes until '26 for the big pieces around Adley to be really savage, by then even if Crane keeps the band together for $300M+, the roster is Altuve at 36, Bregman/Framber/Hader at 32, Tucker/Yordan at 29, and our Young with Experience guys average out to 25-ish for the Peak Adley Teams swansongs.     The best young Astro then is....Hunter Brown?

Edited by Just Regular

On 1/25/2024 at 12:02 AM, Just Regular said:

Mike Fast was the guy whose name I couldn't pinpoint the other day who Drellich's book characterized as "the better Sig" before Fast hopped to Atlanta for 2019 and on, where the onfield results have been spectacular, except that Bryce Harper is better than Spencer Strider.    Bill Firkus left during the playoffs.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikefast/

Mike Fast is the guy who pretty much invented pitch framing metrics, prior to his Astros stint.  

16 minutes ago, owknows said:

I hate him already.

Not a big fan of pitch framing. Always struck me as low-brow and underhanded deception. Like flopping in basketball or soccer. A theatrical attempt at cheating a call.

And anyone who wrapped metrics around it in an attempt to enhance and refine the craft doesn't win any points with me.

The comment was largely tongue in cheek... but the opinion of pitch framing is not.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

Not a big fan of pitch framing. Always struck me as low-brow and underhanded deception. Like flopping in basketball or soccer. A theatrical attempt at cheating a call.

And anyone who wrapped metrics around it in an attempt to enhance and refine the craft doesn't win any points with me.

The comment was largely tongue in cheek... but the opinion of pitch framing is not.

Was he trying to "enhance and refine the craft"?

I read the first stuff he published about it and I didn't get that vibe.

I'd say the folks that came after were more worried about that (and a lot more generous to catchers).

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Well, don’t forget there’s a flip side, I.e. catchers who misframe pitches that are strikes, resulting in the pitch being called a ball.  So it’s not all about “stealing” strikes, it’s also about not getting robbed of strikes.  

2 hours ago, owknows said:

Lol what 

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol what 

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

I find it annoying to watch a catcher ham-fistedly dragging every pitch for a ball back into the strike zone and freezing it there for a time. It's cringey.

I also don't like when a catcher points down to third on a check swing.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

I find it annoying to watch a catcher ham-fistedly dragging every pitch for a ball back into the strike zone and freezing it there for a time. It's cringey.

I also don't like when a catcher points down to third on a check swing.

Which is fine but why throw shade at the guy that decided it would be a good idea to track the phenomenon?  He didn't invent the practice.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is fine but why throw shade at the guy that decided it would be a good idea to track the phenomenon?  He didn't invent the practice.

I think you're getting kinda hung up on a tongue in cheek comment that was primarily intended to humorously express my dislike for pitch framing.

I don't know Mike Fast, much less hate him.

Sarcasm and dry humor often don't translate on the interwebs..

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think you're getting kinda hung up on a tongue in cheek comment that was primarily intended to humorously express my dislike for pitch framing.

I don't know Mike Fast, much less hate him.

Sarcasm and dry humor often don't translate on the interwebs..

Keke