2024 International signing class tracker

25 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The front office still seems to love their shortstops. That does us little good if we have a log jam of position players and you're going to keep hoarding them instead of strengthening the organization's pitching.

The best athletes play SS. They are the easiest to convert to other positions. 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like the O’s didn't have as much success signing guys this year compared to the last couple.  I doubt they left $2 mm in reserve on purpose.  

They only had $5.8 million last year and signed 15 players after the initial signing day. I am supposing they will be augmenting the position players with a bunch of "older" pitchers at the $25,000+ level and reserving half a million for a surprise (to us) guy.

Kobe highlighted a few guys:

Emilio Sanchez - SS: "We're super excited and feel he's a five tool player who hits from the left side. We feel he can remain at SS. He's a plus runner for his age and shows plus arm strength. We feel he has the ability to develop into a star-caliber player.

Stiven Martinez - CF: "A tall, lean, lanky 16-year old with tremendous raw power and a huge arm."

Jamone Nuel - SS: "A very toolsy guy who didn't get as much buzz as some others but we feel that he's just as talented and can move up the line pretty quickly."

Anthony "Angel" Garcia - OF: "He's a big power hitting, corner outfielder with plenty of speed and strength."

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like the O’s didnt have as much success signing guys this year compared to the last couple.  I doubt they left $2 mm in reserve on purpose.  

That was my initial reaction as well. Hopefully there will be more quality players signing late than usual.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like the O’s didnt have as much success signing guys this year compared to the last couple.  I doubt they left $2 mm in reserve on purpose.  

I’d be curious to know if there any high profile Cubans expected to sign before the end of the year.   Otherwise it’s going to be tough to spend 2M on late Latin American signings.  

I have no inside information on this, but I'm guessing they potentially have their eyes on some later signees. Plus they got, what, almost 1.2 million more this year to spend? I doubt they lost anyone because these agreements have been made so long ago that it would have leaked out if someone stole a player from them.

We’re saving room to sign Roki Sasaki in Nov/Dec. LOL.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is exciting to see. And I like the strategy of spreading the money around. IIRC Acuna was signed by the Braves for not a lot of money. You never know who from a group of 19 will turn out to be a prospect. 

And you never know what a 17y/o is gonna do when you give him 6 or 7 figures. 

Edited by emmett16

10 hours ago, Warehouse said:

We’re saving room to sign Roki Sasaki in Nov/Dec. LOL.

In all seriousness, I don’t there is any chance Roki signs with us regardless of money due to geographical reasons.  However, he is expected to be posted this Winter based on reports and will be subject to IFA bonus pools.  Trading bonus space to a west coast team this November could potentially yield more value than signing pop-up players.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Mejia is interesting. 16 year old already throwing upper 90s, projecting 100. More write ups here.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2024/1/15/24039031/orioles-news-international-signing-period-2024

A well done article. Mejia was signed for just $140K so there may be some command issues that comes with that velocity, but you can't trach that velocity this early on.