Your 2025 team will tell us who to keep and who to trade

wildcard

Who are the keepers and who should be moved?   Who helps the O's beat the Rangers lineup.  It's up to you.   For a moment stop think about trading for a pitcher and let see how potent a lineup you can come up with.  Then we will see who is left.   They are the trade candidates.   Here is mine:

2025 players

1B/C/DH - Basallo

2B - Holliday

SS - Gunner

3B - Mayo

LF - Cowser

CF - Mullins

RF - Beavers

C - Adley

DH - Kjerstad

Take that Rangers.

Bench

IF/OF - Westburg

IF  - Ortiz

C - McCann

CF - Bradfield for some part to the season

Starters

GRod

Bradish

Means

Kremer

Johnson

Relievers

Bautista

Hall

Wells

Cano

Perez

McDermott

Povich

Players not on the team in 2025: Mountcastle, Hays, Santander, O'Hearn, Urias, McKenna, Hilliard, Norby, Stowers, Mateo.   This does not say when they are moved.  Just between now and OD 2025.

I think there is a lot of World Series Power here.  

What is your 2025 team look like?

Edited by wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to Your 2025 team will tell us who to keep and who to trade

I think 2025 is too early for Beavers, especially with Cowser, Kjerstad, and possibly Mayo ahead of him in RF.  I also would be surprised if Basallo is on the opening day roster in 2025.

• Upvote 1

Rotation: Bradish, Rodriguez, Cease, Johnson, McDermott

RH Pen: Bautista, Cano, Kremer, Wells

LH Pen: Coulombe, Perez, Hall, Povich

C - Rutschman, Basallo

1B - Mayo

2B - Holliday

3B - Westburg

SS - Henderson

Util - Ortiz

LF - Cowser

CF - Mullins

RF - Kjerstad

DH - O'Hearn

OF4 - Beavers

OF5 - Horvath (needed a righty)

Gone - Santander, Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo, McKenna, Webb, Tate, Kimbrel, Baumann, Means.

"Surely They've Been Traded" - Norby, Stowers, Haskin, Irvin. (Not many here, really.)

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I think who to keep and who to trade is a good 75% of the conversation on here. 

Yeah. I can't find much enjoyment at this point in cycling the same prospect names in and out of the same hypothetical lineups. I have reached critical offseason fatigue until there's something new to talk about. 

• Upvote 1

Almost every prospect has to pan out for this to be a killer lineup. But the optimist in me loves to see it. I think using either Mayo or Basallo as a trade chip for a good SP is a good approach considering their relatively high value. Mayo can move to 1B if you trade Basallo, Westburg will be the 3B if you trade Basallo. 

There’s also the possibility of moving Mayo to RF, Westburg to 3B, and trading Beavers. Or you could trade Kjerstad or Cowser since they have more value and hope that Beavers can make up the difference between what Cowser/Kjerstad give you and whatever you potentially trade them for. 

6 minutes ago, Otter said:

I think 2025 is too early for Beavers, especially with Cowser, Kjerstad, and possibly Mayo ahead of him in RF.  I also would be surprised if Basallo is on the opening day roster in 2025.

Beavers will be 23 years old on opening day and 24 on August 11, 2025... Which is more or less right on time for a good prospect, right? A/A+ in 2022, A+/AA in 2023, AA/AAA in 2024, and ML in 2025.

Basallo, Mayo, Holliday, Adley, Gunnar, GRod, Bradish and Felix are the only guys I can definitively say I won’t trade and who i think are on the 2025 team (Basallo could be there this year or it could be May of next year)

I hope Bradfield makes the Mullins decision easy.

Everyone else decides on many other factors.

One thing I can say for sure is that there is zippy chance the 2025 team only has players on it that are currently in the Os org.

Good list. Norby is the biggest name left off.

I don't see McCann being resigned at age 35. Could be Handley or someone like that if Basallo isn't a C by that point.

Alex Pham is a pitcher that everyone is sleeping on.

Given injuries and players that don't make it, I don't think we should just go and trade any prospects who aren't projected in our top 26. We should probably have 2-3 extra OF, 2-3 extra IF, and tons of extra P. 

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good list. Norby is the biggest name left off.

I don't see McCann being resigned at age 35. Could be Handley or someone like that if Basallo isn't a C by that point.

Alex Pham is a pitcher that everyone is sleeping on.

Given injuries and players that don't make it, I don't think we should just go and trade any prospects who aren't projected in our top 26. We should probably have 2-3 extra OF, 2-3 extra IF, and tons of extra P. 

When or where are the O's going to get the tons of extra pitchers when they didn't really draft pitchers until 2023.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

C - Rutschman, Basallo

1B - Mayo

2B - Holliday

3B - Westburg

SS - Henderson

Util - Ortiz

LF - Cowser

CF - Mullins

RF - Kjerstad

DH - O'Hearn

OF4 - Beavers

Gone - Santander, Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo, McKenna, Webb, Tate, Kimbrel, Baumann, Means.

"Surely They've Been Traded" - Norby, Stowers, Haskin, Irvin. (Not many here, really.)

Who did you trade to get Cease?

17 hours ago, Orange said:

C - Rutschman, Basallo

1B - Mayo

2B - Holliday

3B - Westburg

SS - Henderson

Util - Ortiz

LF - Cowser

CF - Mullins

RF - Kjerstad

DH - O'Hearn

OF4 - Beavers

Who did you trade to get Cease?

From the perspective of January 17th it does not appear that Elias is anxious to trade future outfielders Cowser, Kjerstad or Beavers.  These are  big bat prospects that by 2025 may have a place in the O's lineup.  

Santander and Hays  are closing in on free agency and are getting more expensive.  Though both players are needed in 2023 there will be a transition coming.  If Hays has his normal poor 2nd half.  And with O'Hearn's being a FA at the end of the season,  Santander may see some  time at 1B opening playing time in right fielder.   The Kjerstad vs O'Hearn at DH will probably be a spring training discussion.

The crowded infield appears to show more promise for a trade.   Gunnar and Holliday are keepers.  Mayo is a big bat at 1B or 3B.    These three are all long term everyday players.   That may leave Westburg and Ortiz in backup roles  in the near future.   Elias is probably more likely to  include  one of these in a trade.    

Westburg or  Ortiz and Norby plus two lower minor leaguers would appear to be players Elias  is more willing to trade for starting pitching.   So far it appears the White Sox don't agree.

Mayo reportedly learning RF may be an indication of a willingness to trade Kjerstad.  But I see this as a long shot.   ST will tell us more. 

Basallo and Beavers may be just a year away from starting roles with the O's.   Basallo's bat  may build pressure to trade Mountcastle next off season.    If Beavers is a better fielder it may cause Kjerstad to see more time at DH.

I see a lot of scouts attending O's ST games trying to see who they can pull from the O's.

This is what I see from look ahead at the 2025 possible lineup.

2024/25 Offseason losses:

FA - Santa(No QO), Means(QO), O’Hearn, Kimbrel

Trades - Mullins, Hays

SP: Bradish, GR, Hall, Kremer, Povich

BP: Bautista, Cano, Wells, McDermott, Baumann, Coloumbe, Perez, Irvin

LF: Cowser

RF: Kjerstad

CF: Fabian, Hilliard, and EBJ on 6/15

Catcher: Adley

1B: Mountcastle

2B: Holliday

SS: Gunnar

3B: Westburg 

DH: Mayo

Ortiz, Hilliard , Norby, backup C(Basallo on 6/15)