Minor League WAR

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I understand the concept of minor league WAR, since a replacement level player is the one who’s a borderline major leaguer.  

Yea it would be nice to know how they measure it.

Still, however they did it, it shows a clear divide between our top 3 and everyone else..not that we didn’t know that already.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I understand the concept of minor league WAR, since a replacement level player is the one who’s a borderline major leaguer.  

Despite being an actuary, I’ve never delved into the intricacies of WAR. I get the concept. The rankings seem to correlate to how fast players move through levels. Could be some kind of weighted average of how much they outperformed players at each level along the way? That would suggest that once guys stayed at a level for awhile, their WAR might accrete more slowly?

Whatever, I was glad to see one pitcher one the list.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, not sure what they start with to make a player replacement level. Is it using the same formula as the major leagues and just "pretending" the stats put up by these players were done at the major league level? i wonder how they did the defensive WAR?

That's really the only way these numbers make any sense.

If they did it that way, I'm surprised a bit that Beave was not over Norby unless Beavers dWAR was really bad for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If they did it that way, I'm surprised a bit that Beave was not over Norby unless Beavers dWAR was really bad for some reason.

Norby had 20% more PA than Beavers for a counting stat....I'd bet Beavers' production per 650 PA was better.

The list is fun for another angle highlighting Basallo-Mayo's separation from Kjerstad-Cowser as guys to dream on.

Very interested in knowing how they measure the defensive component of this, particularly given how high Mayo is. He did put up crazy AA offensive numbers which are where I’m sure he accumulated a lot of the WAR, but that was half the season. The other half with a wRC+ in AAA slightly below Cowser’s doesn’t add up to those WAR numbers if Mayo’s defensive contribution is poor. 

It shouldn't be that hard to do WAR for the minors. Replacement would be the expected performance of an average performer/organizational guy in the league below if he were to be promoted. Or you take the average line from the league below and apply the adjustment for a higher league to it.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Norby had 20% more PA than Beavers for a counting stat....I'd bet Beavers' production per 650 PA was better.

The list is fun for another angle highlighting Basallo-Mayo's separation from Kjerstad-Cowser as guys to dream on.

On the counting stat front, also important to note minor league games played: 

Cowser 87, Ortiz 88, Basallo 114, Kjerstad 122, Holliday 125, Norby 138, Mayo 140

Cowser and Ortiz rank closer to the top three in WAR/game than they appear to based on total WAR, because of injury and MLB time. 

• Upvote 3

Well, it jives with how we think of the tiers of prospects, so that's interesting. Ortiz probably short-changed with less ABs, but also interesting that Norby had the year of his life and still only put up 2 WAR. Time to try this guy in LF I think.