Would you trade Gunnar Henderson for George Kirby or Spencer Strider?

Just Regular

Would you trade Gunnar Henderson for George Kirby or Spencer Strider?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Gunnar Henderson for George Kirby or Spencer Strider?

• Either One
    • Only Kirby
    • Only Strider
    • Neither One

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/24 at 05:00

My answer was “neither one,” at least not now.

Generally, I was always under the impression that you should not trade an everyday star player for a starting pitcher. Especially not a star who is under control for five more years. That said, if we get to arb 2 year with no hope in sight for an extension or re-signing him, then yes.

Pitchers break too easily. Strider might be a very durable guy, however, because of his mechanics and strong lower half. I could see an argument for him, but Kirby is kinda slight of build. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wouldn't do it just cause I absolutely love Gunnar and the TJ risk with any pitcher. I think it's a great question though. Holliday for Strider would be extremely tempting.

I love Gunnar too I just see all the depth behind him and think it would work out. I voted for Strider and 
Kirby btw.

For what it's worth, Spencer Strider is the highest ranked pitcher on Fangraphs trade value list and he's below Gunnar.  I think Strider is the only one where you think about it, and it wouldn't be homer-ism to say neither.

I agree that Holliday for Strider or Kirby is a closer comparison.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not saying I'd make the deal but this is a bizarre argument.

The goal is to win the World Series not collect guys that played here for six seasons of a HoF career.

Edit-In hindsight I would have traded Manny in 2014 for a ring and a TOR pitcher.

Kirby vs Strider was an awesome World Series matchup this year

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In hindsight I would have traded Manny in 2014 for a ring and a TOR pitcher.

I can see the need for a new acronym: TINSTATFAR (There Is No Such Thing As Trading For A Ring.)

My first instinct was that somebody'd have to be barking mad to trade Gunnar for either of those pitchers.  But then I thought about how good a Henderson-less infield would still be (Mayo 3B, Holliday SS, Westburg 2B), plus what adding a Spencer Strider to the rotation for the next five years would mean to our future. 

I'd pull the trigger for Strider no problem. 

I would trade Henderson for Strider I believe. I think there's enough talent behind him to kinda make up for moving him. I also think a pitcher like Strider in addition to Bradish and Rodriguez would put the team in the best position to potentially get a WS banner.