Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

5 minutes ago, justD said:

And then the Amazon bailout of Diamond Sports took over five teams' broadcasts, now to air on Amazon Prime, ripping a huge hole in MLB's plans for this to occur.  Crushed me. 

I missed that.  I have to think that we haven't heard the last of this then.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Rubenstein and his partner have a combined net worth of 5.5B.    That sounds like a lot until we consider that Steve Cohen's net worth in 19B.     Elias still has to out smart the big boys.

He's actually middle of the pack for MLB owners by himself-next to Steinbrenner with the partner much higher.  The Orioles went from one the least capitalized franchises to one of the most-at least in ownership net worth.

13 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Got to think even Ripken would want to keep him.  Maybe Ripken might want to get involved in trying to bring back the Orioles way stuff of teaching all the minor league levels the exact same stuff.   But maybe Elias is already doing that.

The way Elias runs the minor league side of things doesn't need any adjustment. Ripken is already involved in Aberdeen anyway.

1 minute ago, paulcoates said:

Is today the greatest day in Orioles history?

I came here to say the same. Definitely top 3 in the last 30 years. There is Delmon's double, the 2012 wild card, and then today.

This totally makes the offseason too.

41 minutes ago, Malike said:

Peter was a hero until he wasn't.

Many forget he was one of the few owners who didn’t use scabs during the players’ strike the year after he bought the team. He also spent a ton on FAs at one point. He could have had  a wonderful legacy instead of being regarded as Mr. Burns’ role model. When did he turn to the Dark Side and why.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Many forget he was one of the few owners who didn’t use scabs during the players’ strike the year after he bought the team. He also spent a ton on FAs at one point. He could have had  a wonderful legacy instead of being regarded as Mr. Burns’ role model. When did he turn to the Dark Side and why.

Albert Belle contract. 

1 minute ago, George Zuverink said:

Peter wanted to win bad.  He just did not understand baseball and was a meddler.    He even would fire announcers because his wife did not like them.  Like John Lowenstein.   I have not seen him in Baltimore since the morons fired him.  I want to see him come back to Camden Yards before he dies.  I dont know why but i want this bad.  I have been stewing over this for more than two decades.  Angelos did my boy Lowenstein dirty and the Orioles need to fix it.   Maybe Ripken can get him to fly in.   I would cry.  Actually cry if they could make it happen. 

Yes, I'm celebrating tonight!  A good cigar and a pint of old man Kesslers!  A word of caution though, don't expect the new owners to immediately start throwing money around like a drunken sailor at a strip club.

I feel encouraged that they may well bring the O's payroll up to a respectable level.  But I hope and expect they will be cautious with their investments.  Just my opinion...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No one is spending on the level of Mets except the Dodgers and maybe the Yankees.  I think the vast majority of us would be happy if the O's had an average MLB payroll--$150-180 mill. 

I’m not asking for the Dodgers but can we at least be spending on the level of the Rays, Pirates, Tigers? lol

MLB average would be beyond great!