Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea he also pointed out how hard it is to lose money.

Do any of us expect him to run a loss?

Yeah I expect him to make some kind of profit, but he's not depending on the O's to foot the bill for his ultra rich lifestyle ala John Angelos. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

He's also a major philanthropist.  Fingers crossed he treats the O's more as a charity than a business.  Most owners are rich enough that they don't treat their sports teams as a true business -- which is helped by the fact that the value of these franchises has always gone up regardless.

The big key is he has plenty of income streams besides the Orioles.  Unlike Angelos.  He is buying an asset who’s foundation in their farm system has not been stronger than the 1970’s.  Are they going to spend like the Dodgers? No, but they don’t have to.  I just want them to retain their developed good players and throw in a good free agent for a place of need.  They are probably not going to buy the top free agent like a Ohtani but again they don’t need to.  The Orioles haven’t really had a decent owner since Hoffberger when the game was very different.  Edward Bennett Williams by the end of his tenure facing his mortallity and was making decisions against a clock.  Jacobs buys the club based on his Real Estate fortune that collapsed soon after he took over because of the real estate market evaporating.  Angelos buys them out of bankruptcy and he does spend some money but makes decisions like he knew something about running a baseball team.  He never let baseball people run or build an organization.  Then for the last 5 years he has been incapacitated and his outside source of income dried up. His son runs it like a $1 store.  This may become the best of times ahead for this franchise.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yes. :)

Charlotte/North Carolina also provides the Orioles with a significant fan base and some revenue. The franchise can appreciate them now, because who knows how long until MLB might take that away via an expansion team.

And they had a minor league O's there for a good spell as well. I actually got to play there in high school in the State Championship. 

Apparently, Raleigh is making a strong bid for a MLB expansion team, with NC's Governor, the Carolina Hurricanes' owner (billionaire), former State Budget Director (and my former boss) all on the same team pushing this. 

"I think it's clear that there is going to be a serious effort to bring MLB to North Carolina," Lou Pascucci told The Center Square in an email exchange. He's with MLB Raleigh alongside Ryan Foose and Will Gadd, who started on the project nearly five years ago and now are aligned with former state budget director Charlie Perusse, Gov. Roy Cooper and Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon."

A lot more on this is here. https://mlbraleigh.com

Edited by NashLumber

3 hours ago, Birdland in NC said:

Great time to sell for the Angelos family, GREAT time for new ownership for the team and fans.   David Rubenstein, Baltimore guy, I'm sure he's thrilled, he seems like a real person.   I bet Elias and Sig are the happiest guys in the organization to have an extremely intellegent guy like him to work for.  John Angelos...is not on that level    

Agree with all except JA had enough intelligence to Hire Mike Elias,and thats where this resurrection started

2 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

The Baltimore metro area as a whole as increased in size by about 200,000 since around 2000 and ticket prices are much higher.  The bigger issue is the future of TV revenue and the loss of fans from the DC area.  But the Baltimore/DC greater area as a whole is huge now -- the third largest in the country.  I think O's success will bring back a lot of fans from further south and attract many new ones too.

Me Too, if the next year or two go like I think they will (not counting the impact of new ownership) 2.5 Mil is the the Floor, 3 Mil is Definite possibility. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Woke up wondering if it was a dream. 

It’s not! Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaahahaha

or are you in a dream inside a dream and are we all inside your dream inside a dream 🧐

Just now, Daddy-O's said:

I don't believe John Angelos ran it like a $ store.  He ran like he intended to sell it.  He stripped it of all long term financial obligations.  Signed a long term team friendly lease. Invested in a stream of talented cheap labor and then sold the team at its highest value.  I don't think he cared about winning or losing, he cared about increasing the value of the team because his family was always going to have sell the team, when his father passed.

If it was the plan, he did a very good job.

17 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I don't believe John Angelos ran it like a $ store.  He ran like he intended to sell it.  He stripped it of all long term financial obligations.  Signed a long term team friendly lease. Invested in a stream of talented cheap labor and then sold the team at its highest value.  I don't think he cared about winning or losing, he cared about increasing the value of the team because his family was always going to have sell the team, when his father passed.

I’m not sure how to determine the evaluation of a team when it’s set up like the Orioles compared to what the Orioles were six years ago. 

To your point about stripping the team of all long term obligations, the lease, I get all that. That makes sense. 

The talent on the team right now is cheap, but it’s also fantastic. The system that Elias has built is reaping rewards. Analytics department, the training complex in the Dominican, etc…that’s all stuff that has to be valuable. Like, I’m not sure the Pirates get this type of evaluation and sales price. 

That is to say…maybe, just maybe he actually did care about winning because he knew that if the team was cheap in all areas BUT a winner, he could get more for it. I don’t know if he gets this amount of money for a losing team with a barren farm system, no international presence, and no GM who has done brilliant things.  I have to think winning 101 games last year and the division helped raise the price. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Good this was the one thing I wanted to hear. I assumed Rubenstein would have control of the daily operations once getting approved by the owner's committee, but it's reassuring to know.

Here you go …..

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Everyone double and triple checking this news like they might wake up and find out it was a dream.

Unless something completely off the rails happens before the ownership committee approves the Angelos reign over Orioles land really is coming to an end.

Reign of terror and terrible. The nightmare is finally over!!!!!