Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

So has Elias ascended into some higher level of GM being now that he’s swung a significant trade? I think he’s opened his third eye or something. 

I wouldn’t say a higher level of GM.  I would say that he has now done something he hadn’t done and this is a major move.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)
2 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

What kind of Years/$$$ do you think he gets in Free Agency?

This is from 2022 offseason. Cliffs - We are talking serious money. 

https://brewerfanatic.com/news-rumors/milwaukee-brewers/what-might-an-extension-look-like-with-corbin-burnes-r593/

So, it is possible that the only decent comparables might be free agents, but that’s not the same. Free agents can talk to multiple teams in their negotiations. That said, those top contracts such as Gerrit Cole’s deal with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million) or Stephen Strasburg’s deal with the Nationals (7 years, $245 million). The Average Annual Value (AAV) of Cole’s deal was $36 million while Strasburg’s was $35 million. Of course, Trevor Bauer also signed before the 2020 season at an AAV of $34 million. Going back five years earlier, Max Scherzer signed a seven-year, $210 million deal with Washington ($30 million per year). 

The one contract that is probably most similar to this Burnes’ situation might be that of Jacob deGrom. Before the 2019 season, deGrom and the Mets agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million deal. At the time, deGrom was coming off of his first Cy Young season in 2018 and then won his second in 2019. So, he had two more years of arbitration remaining if he wanted to go in that direction. 

Simply, there are not a lot of long-term contracts signed with dominant, Cy Young Award winners with two years of arbitration remaining. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t say a higher level of GM.  I would say that he has now done something he hadn’t done and this is a major move.

I was half joking. But the narrative around here that he wasn’t able to put on his big boy pants until making a trade like this was getting a bit silly. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

Anyone critical of this package is insane. This is an incredible deal. Yes, we all wanted to see Hall succeed in an O’s uniform and you hate to give up an early draft pick but this is one of the best starters in baseball and we will likely have every chance to sign him long term with new ownership. 

Agree….plus if we get that pick back for his free agency it makes it all the better!

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I hope the White Sox are melting down and Getz realizes he was asking for too much. 

I just looked..one person said maybe the Os will still get Cease and then people were questioning if he had the balls to do it.  Lol

• Haha 2