Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

What a couple of days. It's almost like the sports Gods decided that the Ravens loss must have been the offering they needed.

Two years of Corbin Burnes without giving up one of the top five prospects? Yes please!!!

Small correction sir,  just one year of CB

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I hope Snell doesn’t come back to the division but I’m afraid the Yankees might strike back here. 

They will end up with Snell, Montgomery or Cease.  Getz may be able to leverage this into a stupid Yankees deal.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

One year..but still

Yep, you're right. I saw 2025 but it meant at the start of 2025. 

Either way, I like the move. Burnes is a legitimate ace and the Orioles didn't hurt their 2024 team much. They can go and sign Chapman to replace Hall if they want to.

Hard to complain about this deal. Added a TOR starter and didn’t have to deal any prospects from our top five. 

I think this opens up the possibility of Mayo or Holliday making the big league club out of Spring Training with Ortiz out of the picture. 

Edited by ChuckS

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What a couple of days. It's almost like the sports Gods decided that the Ravens loss must have been the offering they needed.

Two years of Corbin Burnes without giving up one of the top five prospects? Yes please!!!

One year. He is a free agent at the end of this year. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They will end up with Snell, Montgomery or Cease.  Getz may be able to leverage this into a stupid Yankees deal.

If they have to trade whatever’s left of their system for Cease I’m good with that as I think Cease is a bit overrated.  Hurting their long term future is always good in my book. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, you're right. I saw 2025 but it meant at the start of 2025. 

Either way, I like the move. Burnes is a legitimate ace and the Orioles didn't hurt their 2024 team much. They can go and sign Chapman to replace Hall if they want to.

Chapman signed with the Pirates.