JD Martinez

Roll Tide

35 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

One problem with JD is that he is DH only at this point-- just one game in the OF in the last two years.

Even if you trade an OF/1b to make room for JD, his inflexibility will clog up the roster usage in other ways.

I look at it is that he could be our “Carlos Beltran”. HOU brought Beltran in to be their vet when they won their first WS. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Ken is just saying he wants him. He's not a guy with sources. 

We don't need Martinez and we won't sign him. This thread is silly. Good day.

Ken may be a little giddy with Rubenstein's money and I think that's where it's coming from. I can be that way, too. But the DH only stance which he'll likely demand, plus likely being rather expensive (a Boras client), seems out of the O's reach. I like the 30 or so HRs and 100 RBI he brings to the table (BBref projects lower for '24, actually), but still ...

Maybe if O's trade Mounty and free up space, then he'll be a better fit? 

Edited by NashLumber

3 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Ken may be a little giddy with Rubenstein's money and I think that's where it's coming from. I can be that way, too. But the DH only stance which he'll likely demand, plus likely being rather expensive (a Boras client), seems out of the O's reach. I like the 30 or so HRs and 100 RBI he brings to the table (BBref projects lower for '24, actually), but still ...

Maybe if O's trade Mounty and free up space, then he'll be a better fit? 

Even trading Mountcastle doesn't free up enough AB's because Adley gets quite a bit of those.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I’m okay with a JD Martinez signing. But only if the following criteria is met

Trade Kremer/Mountcastle to Mets for Alonso

Trade Santander/Norby to Guardians for Bieber/Barlow

Then sign Martinez

Obviously I’m messing around. But I don’t see how Santander and Martinez can really be on the same team considering that Rutschman will also be getting a ton of DH time.

Are we seriously still suggesting that this team needs a 36 year old DH? Does that really seem like a move the modern regime would make? Stop thinking like an Angelos! And Ken Weinman's about as "plugged in" to what the Orioles need as a broken battery operated toaster.

Right handed power hitters without elite power are not likely to perform at OPACY quite like folks want them too. Projecting JD to have 30 HRs as the, likely part-time, DH for the O's is pure fantasy. Look at the effect Mt. Walltimore has had on Mountcastle over the last couple of years. Now imagine that effect on 36 yo J.D. Martinez.  It won't be pretty.

• Upvote 1