Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

39 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd be willing to bet that everyone has some sort of "thing" about them that, that if strangers found out, someone would be like, that guy is a weirdo or freak. Chapman, Osuna, Ozuna, Familia, Jose Reyes, and on and on have all been suspended for DV allegations. People are still throwing money at some of these guys. Weren't people saying we should take a flyer on Domingo German? 81 games, himself.

One thing about Bauer compared to other guys with similar issues in the past-- he's very much in the public eye due to his level of previous stardom (part talent, part antics) and also his attempts at building an influencer-like social media presence. More often people seem to just put their heads down and hide in plain sight, which I think probably helps the public forget about it and accept those guys back a bit more easily.

I get the feeling Bauer does so much YouTube and other social media stuff largely as a hedge assuming he won't get back into MLB, and this is his next career. If he's doing it partially to change the narrative and get back into the league, I think it's having the opposite effect. 

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

If Curt Schilling were still playing, and at the same point in his career arc, would there be a furor about offering him a contract?

Yes.

Edited by MDS29
Off point.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That's so wild.  A PRP injection and rehab can have him ready to go in 4-6 weeks which isn't a lot of time.  

If it goes the other way, you're looking at 12-18 months.  Vastly opposite ends of the spectrum.

40 minutes ago, Philip said:

If Curt Schilling were still playing, and at the same point in his career arc, would there be a furor about offering him a contract?

Yes, because when he was Bradish's age, no one knew what a flaming douchecanoe he would turn out to be.

Even if it was known, I'd still want him on the team.  IIRC, his teammates all liked him, he was a great competitor, student of the game and one of the best postseason pitchers in history.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, because when he was Bradish's age, no one knew what a flaming douchecanoe he would turn out to be.

Even if it was known, I'd still want him on the team.  IIRC, his teammates all liked him, he was a great competitor, student of the game and one of the best postseason pitchers in history.

But maybe when he was Bauer's age.... 

10 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

I don't get it, did he get hurt on the first day? How do you get injured during the off-season?  Training? I saw Gunnar was injured too. Dudes need to relax and save their bodies for the season.

Yes, professional ball players should just sit on the couch for the five months a year that they are out of season. That's the key to achieving athletic excellence.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Yes, professional ball players should just sit on the couch for the five months a year that they are out of season. That's the key to achieving athletic excellence.

Get real. I hardly think straining your body and doing grueling exercise regiments is the key to athletic excellence either, particularly as a pitcher, whose shoulders and elbows go through an incredible amount of wear throughout their careers. 

Training is fine, but not in excess. Bodies need to rest and heal.

1 minute ago, Oriole4Life said:

Get real. I hardly think straining your body and doing grueling exercise regiments is the key to athletic excellence either, particularly as a pitcher, whose shoulders and elbows go through an incredible amount of wear throughout their careers. 

Training is fine, but not in excess. Bodies need to rest and heal.

And who is to say they were doing anything "in excess" when they were injured?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And who is to say they were doing anything "in excess" when they were injured?

Who knows? That's why I was asking when he got hurt. Was it literally like two days ago? Or was it during the off-season?

In general pitchers get hurt a lot because they put so much stress on their joints. Throwing a baseball over and over with tons of velocity takes a toll. It happens often.

33 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

Who knows? That's why I was asking when he got hurt. Was it literally like two days ago? Or was it during the off-season?

In general pitchers get hurt a lot because they put so much stress on their joints. Throwing a baseball over and over with tons of velocity takes a toll. It happens often.

He got hurt in January, which is the time most pitchers begin throwing bullpens.