Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

34 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Let’s all not forget that Batista was throwing from the mound at the end of the year when we were all hopeful. 

Elias has made it clear that the Bautista situation was a Hail Mary and this is not.  From Roch:

Elias warned against making comparisons between the elbow injuries to Bradish and closer Félix Bautista, the latter forced to undergo Tommy John surgery in October and a recent follow-up procedure to remove scar tissue and improve range of motion.

“That was at the end of the season, and frankly it was pretty evident there that he was going to need a surgery in the short-term,” Elias said.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/bradish-to-begin-season-on-injured-list-means-also-expected-to-be-unavailable-on-opening-day

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias has made it clear that the Bautista situation was a Hail Mary and this is not.  From Roch:

Elias warned against making comparisons between the elbow injuries to Bradish and closer Félix Bautista, the latter forced to undergo Tommy John surgery in October and a recent follow-up procedure to remove scar tissue and improve range of motion.

“That was at the end of the season, and frankly it was pretty evident there that he was going to need a surgery in the short-term,” Elias said.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/bradish-to-begin-season-on-injured-list-means-also-expected-to-be-unavailable-on-opening-day

Thanks for sharing. As a fan I’m still preparing for the worst just to keep my own expectations in check. But bluntly speaking, they’re pretty much uniformly acting like he’ll be back and effectively contributing this year. The disconnect between what they’re saying and what we’re choosing to hear and interpret on this board is pretty stark.

3 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Thanks for sharing. As a fan I’m still preparing for the worst just to keep my own expectations in check. But bluntly speaking, they’re pretty much uniformly acting like he’ll be back and effectively contributing this year. The disconnect between what they’re saying and what we’re choosing to hear and interpret on this board is pretty stark.

I can’t remember the last time a GM from any team was anything other than noncommittal at best, and more often meaninglessly upbeat when answering questions about pitching injuries. Take the amount of time implied and multiply by three for a starting point. 

22 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I can’t remember the last time a GM from any team was anything other than noncommittal at best, and more often meaninglessly upbeat when answering questions about pitching injuries. Take the amount of time implied and multiply by three for a starting point. 

Couldn’t disagree more when it comes to  Elias.   He’s usually very noncommittal and pretty much never says anything optimistic.  The reason I think Bradish has a good chance to get back is that Elias has said he expects him back, and that’s not normally something Elias eoukd say. 

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t disagree more when it comes to  Elias.   He’s usually very noncommittal and pretty much never says anything optimistic.  The reason I think Bradish has a good chance to get back is that Elias has said he expects him back, and that’s not normally something Elias eoukd say. 

Based on Elias’ comments I’m expecting Bradish is going to be on the mound in 2024. What I have no optimism for is that this won’t ultimately need surgery, and just have no idea when that is going to come.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This. I’m cautiously optimistic about seeing Bradish pitch this year because Elias generally keeps things close to vest, and when he does reveal information, he seems to be fairly honest about it (like his update on Bautista last year, with the not so good news).

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was somewhat optimistic on Bautista.But much more on Bradish. Time will tell.

Elias says it's possible Bautista will pitch again this season; Orioles taking 'conservative approach' with closer - BaltimoreBaseball.com
https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/09/11/elias-says-possible-bautista-pitches-season-orioles-taking-conservative-approach-closer/

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Elias interviewed just now during the ST game. Same update as before, he’s tracking as they’d hope to see. Palmer pressed him further on any MRI/imaging results, to which he responded that the post PRP imaging did show improvement. Not out of the woods yet though.

37 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

We need to accept the reality of the situation. These things happen, and they suck. I’ll be 1000% shocked if Kyle Bradish doesn’t have Tommy John by May.

If PRP injections had a zero percent success rate, teams wouldn't bother and they'd just give the players Tommy John.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

He says that now .. he didn’t say that then.  Bradish may still likely need TJ surgery at some point imho . 

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

We need to accept the reality of the situation. These things happen, and they suck. I’ll be 1000% shocked if Kyle Bradish doesn’t have Tommy John by May.

I assume you were equally shocked when Aaron Nola avoided Tommy John via the same type of treatment a few years ago? 

• Upvote 1