Orioles Showing Interest In Jesús Luzardo per MLBTradeRumors

Billy F-Face3

This was published just today after the news of the injuries...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/orioles-have-shown-interest-in-jesus-luzardo.html?fbclid=IwAR3WLfDpDQrLxNleV8B39LC7ltpQh9hnCHl7SJA85S--e6f7UT5YmV9fTV4

The question now becomes, what could acquire him, and what who would you be willing to part with to get him? 

I think he might be too expensive to get. We could plug in Cole Irvin and Tyler Wells and be OK for the short term. It only becomes an issue if more injuries happen and the season starts to get more high leverage like the post seaosn is. I don't expect Tyler Wells to make it through a full season as a starter. I think Irvin would, but he will also have some bad games we will have to live through. He will also give us some great games too like the games last summer when his outstanding performance prevented the Orioles from getting swept a couple times. I can't remember the opponents but I think one of them was the Twins. 

I think the notable fact from the article is that the Orioles were overall the most aggressive team pursuing Luzardo. 

But it seems to be in past tense: this is saying that the O's pursued him earlier in the winter, not necessarily now. My assumption is that this was a Burnes backup plan. 

Why??

There are better pitchers available on the FA market.

And before someone tries to shout me down regarding costs, the Orioles are STILL what 27th in payroll?

If we are going the route of FA and if we want to put ourselves in the best position to attempt to win a World Series, why not actually sign a pitcher who can make a real difference?

Adding Luzardo into that group would have been a viable path for the O’s to take, so it’s possible the talks happened post-Burnes, even if they didn’t make much headway.

It’s possible that their desire to get a deal done may have increased this week, however. It was reported today that Bradish has been diagnosed with a sprain of his ulnar collateral ligament, raising the spectre of Tommy John surgery. It’s still not determined if he will need to go under the knife but he will at least start the season on the injured list. Additionally, Means is about a month behind schedule due to an elbow issue he dealt with last year.

With two-fifths of their projected starting rotation now questionable, perhaps the O’s will circle back to the Marlins and reopen these talks at some point. Though the free agent market also still features notable names like Blake Snell, Jordan Montgomery, Lorenzen, Hyun Jin Ryu and many more. Meanwhile, Cease is still on the White Sox while other trade candidates like Shane Bieber or Paul Blackburn could still be available. Even after the Burnes trade, the O’s are still considered to have an excellent farm system and could pull off just about any trade they decide to make if they really wanted.