Cole Irvin: “I’m not saying I’m in the best shape of my life”

Frobby

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Is proofreading just not a thing anymore?

Nope.  Roch and Melewski’s  blogs have errors all the time.

Edited by RZNJ

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2024 at 1:05 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Irvin is going to deliver a monster season.  Bear in mind, this is about as Kool-Aid as I ever get, it's spring and I still find this part of the season incredibly boring.  Spring Training is, quite frankly, exhausting.

The Orioles picked him up late last offseason, I don't think he really had a lot of time to get used to whatever the Orioles wanted to do with him from an analytics, pitch mix, etc, perspective.  I also don't think those changes happen overnight which maybe explains why he started so poorly last year.

But when he came back in the second half, he was markedly different.  IIRC, the velocity was up.  The breaking stuff was better.  

So it's my hope that after the 2nd half of last year and an entire offseason of being able to work with the Orioles, he can put together a whole season that's more in line with the 2nd half of 2023.

Too bad @RZNJdidn’t find this gem when he was searching for negative things I might have said about Irvin this past offseason. 

Granted, the season is far from over, we have to see what else happens the rest of the way. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Too bad @RZNJdidn’t find this gem when he was searching for negative things I might have said about Irvin this past offseason. 

Granted, the season is far from over, we have to see what else happens the rest of the way. 

Nice try.  I said in the off season not after Irvin’s first ST start when he looked like Warren Spahn and you got all giddy like a girl at her sweet 16 party.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve shared the bullish feelings on Irvin as a starter, especially without Means because I don’t think that it makes much sense for an all righty rotation. Certainly not in the playoffs.

Cole is pitching the best he’s ever shown in the majors. Dare I suggest that he’s been their best starter through the first six or so weeks of this year? The numbers suggest he’s at least in that conversation.

I’ve really liked his willingness to do whatever the club needs him to do without complaining. That’s not as customary in today’s professional sports as it has been in the past so my appreciation for him may be a little amplified by that but whatever. He seems like a good dude and a good teammate so I’m happy to see him having this success early in the season. I went out on a limb before last season and picked him to be my sleeper contributor. He had some nice stretches but nothing like what we’re seeing this year. Here’s to hoping it continues. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I’ve shared the bullish feelings on Irvin as a starter, especially without Means because I don’t think that it makes much sense for an all righty rotation. Certainly not in the playoffs.

Cole is pitching the best he’s ever shown in the majors. Dare I suggest that he’s been their best starter through the first six or so weeks of this year? The numbers suggest he’s at least in that conversation.

I’ve really liked his willingness to do whatever the club needs him to do without complaining. That’s not as customary in today’s professional sports as it has been in the past so my appreciation for him may be a little amplified by that but whatever. He seems like a good dude and a good teammate so I’m happy to see him having this success early in the season. I went out on a limb before last season and picked him to be my sleeper contributor. He had some nice stretches but nothing like what we’re seeing this year. Here’s to hoping it continues. 

100% on all points. 

22 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Irvin stunk for 3 starts and he’s been great for three starts.   I don’t think that puts him in the conversation for our best starter the first 5 weeks of the season.    

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I saw his postgame interview, and it was interesting to hear him say on the last at-bat against Elly that Elly hit a slider when Savant called it a curveball.

Pitches with bend, man....who knows.

That is interesting. Fangraphs "Pitch Type" has him with a curveball, "Pitch Info" calls it a slider. Would that make it a "sweeper"? Either way, he is throwing it more this year, about double compared to last year. 

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Irvin stunk for 3 starts and he’s been great for three starts.   I don’t think that puts him in the conversation for our best starter the first 5 weeks of the season.    

I'd say stunk for two starts. Third one was meh. Almost got through the 5th and we won the game.