Cole Irvin: “I’m not saying I’m in the best shape of my life”

Frobby

• Frobby changed the title to Cole Irvin: “I’m not saying I’m in the best shape of my life”
15 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Will withhold judgement until I am informed how the ball feels coming out of his hand.

100%.. That always tells us as much as coming into camp in the "best shape of their career." :D

Nice to know Irvin had a nice offseason and a sense of humor.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just thought this was a funny line, considering all the “best shape of my life” stories you read every spring training.   But, as Roch’s article shows, Irvin indeed has worked very hard this offseason, strengthening his core, changing his diet, etc.   He could turn out to be a very important piece to this team, with Bradish and Means on the shelf right now, and even later if they’re both back.   

He is a funny dude. Also looks like he runs a tire and brake shop in southeast Oklahoma.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I like Irvin.     He threw 178 and 181 innings the two seasons before last and was pretty effective.   He's a nice guy to have in the long relief role/spot starter and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a capable piece of the rotation.

Edited by clapdiddy

He’s a good dude. I’m glad we have him. He can be one of those under the radar really valuable players for us.  His season was derailed early last year because he didn’t have the command and control he needs to have but as he found that, he become a weapon.

• Upvote 1

I think he's a bit underrated. It's not easy to pitch back-to-back 180-inning campaigns with an ERA in the low 4s, and doing it on a bad team. But that's exactly what he did before we traded for him. 

Didn't exactly work out last year, but I have pretty high hopes for him being a solid Means replacement. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think he's a bit underrated. It's not easy to pitch back-to-back 180-inning campaigns with an ERA in the low 4s, and doing it on a bad team. But that's exactly what he did before we traded for him. 

Didn't exactly work out last year, but I have pretty high hopes for him being a solid Means replacement. 

I think saying it “didn’t exactly work out last year” is a bit unfair.