Santander wants O's extension.

jabba72

10 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Would you do 3 years, $40 million?

I understand the arguments against it, but yes or no to that price? He can play first base. He's 29. He's averaged 30.5 HR a year over the past two seasons.

Yes if we trade Kjerstad or Cowser. Otherwise no. The problem is he’s blocking prospects. 

48 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Would you do 3 years, $40 million?

I understand the arguments against it, but yes or no to that price? He can play first base. He's 29. He's averaged 30.5 HR a year over the past two seasons.

No. Zero desire to have him taking up a pivotal roster spot (in terms of young players we have now and ones coming fast) for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Yes if we trade Kjerstad or Cowser. Otherwise no. The problem is he’s blocking prospects. 

For a team that is in it to win it now, I'd take an established 30 hrs / year switch hitter and not worry about blocked prospects.  Plant him at DH and the 3 or 4 hole.  Cowser can be 4th OF, Kjerstad can have RF if they live up to the hype. If not, he can still be quality RF.

10 minutes ago, billhatf said:

For a team that is in it to win it now, I'd take an established 30 hrs / year switch hitter and not worry about blocked prospects.  Plant him at DH and the 3 or 4 hole.  Cowser can be 4th OF, Kjerstad can have RF if they live up to the hype. If not, he can still be quality RF.

Which is fine if we can trade the prospects. Otherwise it’s wasted capital. 

18 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Which is fine if we can trade the prospects. Otherwise it’s wasted capital. 

I think there’s room.  There’s also a very decent chance that none of our current products turn out to be as good as Santander.   ZiPS has Santander well ahead of Kjerstad and Cowser over each of the next three seasons.  

I think a lot of people are under the impression that most top 50 prospects are likely to become above average major league players.   That’s not the case.   It’s just what we hope will happen.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s room.  There’s also a very decent chance that none of our current products turn out to be as good as Santander.   ZiPS has Santander well ahead of Kjerstad and Cowser over each of the next three seasons.  

I think a lot of people are under the impression that most top 50 prospects are likely to become above average major league players.   That’s not the case.   It’s just what we hope will happen.  

ZiPS knows about as much about baseball as my left nut. 

Seems to be a minority opinion but I'd sign Santander to a reasonable deal similar to the ones mentioned in other posts.  I think his switch hitting capabilities add a lot of lineup flexibility, and I like that we know what we are likely to get from him.  As Frobby has pointed out, there's no guarantee that any of Kjerstad/Stowers/Cowser even work out, and if they do, being signed up to a small extension probably makes Santander easier to trade, not harder.  I also think his personality in the clubhouse is more important than anyone here ever gives credit to (clubhouse presence is generally pooh-poohed around here, from what I've seen).

• Upvote 1