Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hays, Mayo, Mountcastle, or Westburg depending on how they are hitting recently and the particular RHP matchup.

Highly unlikely that the expected result between Heston and any of those guys exceeds the value of putting Mateo on base in a close game with 0 or 1 out, for Adley, Santander, Mountcastle, Mayo, Cowser, or even Westburg (who has speed, but we saw Mateo PR for him play out last season)

14 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Highly unlikely that the expected result between Heston and any of those guys exceeds the value of putting Mateo on base in a close game with 0 or 1 out, for Adley, Santander, Mountcastle, Mayo, Cowser, or even Westburg (who has speed, but we saw Mateo PR for him play out last season)

All of those guys have to get on base before Mateo can PR for them.  You asked who Kjerstad would PH for.   If this is an either Mateo or Kjerstad being on the team, I could see them both on the team but I think you already know that.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All of those guys have to get on base before Mateo can PR for them.  You asked who Kjerstad would PH for.   If this is an either Mateo or Kjerstad being on the team, I could see them both on the team but I think you already know that.

No. Just one of them would need to be on base.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

No. Just one of them would need to be on base.

Of course.  I’m lost.  Is this an argument about who would have more value on the bench if you could only have either Mateo or Kjerstad?

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course.  I’m lost.  Is this an argument about who would have more value on the bench if you could only have either Mateo or Kjerstad?

I'm saying we have some redundant players on the roster. O'Hearn & Kjerstad probably the most redundant. Mateo brings an element that adds as much situational value as any potential platoon matchup.

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I'm saying we have some redundant players on the roster. O'Hearn & Kjerstad probably the most redundant. Mateo brings an element that adds as much situational value as any potential platoon matchup.

Got it.  

18 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Expecially pinchrunning him in extra-innings games so that he starts off at 2nd base with none out. As one option, I hope our batters get to practice bringing him in from 3rd with bunts or infield taps and Jorge learns the dark secret of stealing home.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, now said:

Currently hitting .343, .996 OPS.

Right on target to repeat last April's scorching performance?

If so I hope we trade him sometime in May while his value is as high as it'll get and everyone knows the crash will be happening shortly thereafter!  😉