Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

1 hour ago, interloper said:

What was the prediction?

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

First post of the thread, Giants will sign Snell or Montgomery and then trade for Mateo. 

But @Just Regular predicted the Giants would sign one of Snell/Chapman/Montgomery... and they've signed two! Last time I ever listen to that guy.

• Haha 2

IMO Mateo should make the team coming out of spring training. 

Not only does he tend to hit well in April/May, but base stealers seem to have a lot of success early in the year compared to later.   Not sure of the reasoning but that is a trend I have noticed.

Come June or July he will probably be a non factor, but early on he can help win games.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, now said:

Currently hitting .343, .996 OPS.

Right on target to repeat last April's scorching performance?

Right on target for fooling a bunch of people into thinking he’ll be a better hitter this year.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Right on target for fooling a bunch of people into thinking he’ll be a better hitter this year.  

Count me in.  The ability is there to at least be a threat.   Different stance than last April but keeping the weight back and generating bat speed.    Crossed fingers.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe we can hope it's another GM who sees value and upside.  The guy has such raw talent, I have to think if/when we trade or release him, he'll make us look like we made a mistake at some point.  

But, unless someone wants to give up a piece Elias wants back in a trade, I don't see us moving him for next to nothing.

6 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

IMO Mateo should make the team coming out of spring training. 

Not only does he tend to hit well in April/May, but base stealers seem to have a lot of success early in the year compared to later.   Not sure of the reasoning but that is a trend I have noticed.

Come June or July he will probably be a non factor, but early on he can help win games.

While he hit well last April, I'm not sure that constitutes a "tendency".  However, if it does, then he also hit well in October, so that could mean we should hang on to him for the playoffs.  Who's in?

Jorge Mateo is part of this team. He has a role to fill. He adds as much value to the team in late inning, close game situations as anybody else on the roster. If he performs well at the plate, and earns starts, it is just a bonus.

Deal with it, haters.

Or keep crying.

Your choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Jorge Mateo is part of this team. He has a role to fill. He adds as much value to the team in late inning, close game situations as anybody else on the roster. If he performs well at the plate, and earns starts, it is just a bonus.

Deal with it, haters.

Or keep crying.

Your choice.

He has as much value in those situations as Cano?  Kimbrel?

Did you know that one metric had an Oriole player as the most valuable baserunner in MLB last year?

It wasn't Mateo...

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Count me in.  The ability is there to at least be a threat.   Different stance than last April but keeping the weight back and generating bat speed.    Crossed fingers.

I'm in for some Mateo, lol. Screw it. Fool me a million times shame on me, but I can't stop. Like Shohei's interpreter. 

• Haha 1