Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Everyone excited about hot starts this spring.  Meanwhile, not a peep about Jorge who’s crushing the ball right now.   Looks like he’s in mid April form.   Jorge, if only this could last longer than a few weeks or a month or two.   When Jorge doesn’t commit too early he’s a dangerous (I didn’t say good) hitter.   He must drive the hitting coaches crazy.

The problem with Mateo is that when he goes into a funk, it’s a really deep funk and he has no idea how to get out of it.  I’ve rarely seen a player who’s as worthless as Mateo is when things are going badly for him.   Which is most of the time, unfortunately.   

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why he hasn't seen the outfield yet. Is it really just because Gunnar isn't playing yet? We have enough random guys who can play SS in ST: Westburg has played once, we have Castillo, Robinson, Collin Burns, give Urias a start there for the heck of it. 

Seems weird to me. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't understand why he hasn't seen the outfield yet. Is it really just because Gunnar isn't playing yet? We have enough random guys who can play SS in ST: Westburg has played once, we have Castillo, Robinson, Collin Burns, give Urias a start there for the heck of it. 

Seems weird to me. 

Well Mateo was one SS injury away to a contender to turn into an asset. Turns out, the injury happened to us. He’s a good SS insurance policy right now with Gunnar hurt, and Ortiz gone. McKenna looks like he has the inside track on the backup CF job with Hilliard gone. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well Mateo was one SS injury away to a contender to turn into an asset. Turns out, the injury happened to us. He’s a good SS insurance policy right now with Gunnar hurt, and Ortiz gone. McKenna looks like he has the inside track on the backup CF job with Hilliard gone. 

Sure, it's just weird to have Hyde come out and say he's going to play a lot of OF and be this super utility guy, and 7 games in he hasn't played an inning in the outfield. It's not a big deal to me, it's just kind of curious. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, it's just weird to have Hyde come out and say he's going to play a lot of OF and be this super utility guy, and 7 games in he hasn't played an inning in the outfield. It's not a big deal to me, it's just kind of curious. 

There’s plenty of time for that, and we can assume Mateo has been getting lots of work on the back fields too.  

I think pitching especially back end of bullpen will be weaker than this year

Offense needs to take a step forward and we have the talent to do so

but management need to realize that Mateo is a luxury that this team can not afford.

Needs to be dealt before opening day, or Urias, and Wong,

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The problem with Mateo is that when he goes into a funk, it’s a really deep funk and he has no idea how to get out of it.  I’ve rarely seen a player who’s as worthless as Mateo is when things are going badly for him.   Which is most of the time, unfortunately.   

I agree with you 100%.   The thing is, it’s pretty easy to see when he starts going bad.  That’s why I said he must drive the hitting coaches crazy.   Fingers crossed that he can stay with the current approach thru the season.  The results might still not be great but I think he’ll be a lot more fun to watch at bat.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think pitching especially back end of bullpen will be weaker than this year

Offense needs to take a step forward and we have the talent to do so

but management need to realize that Mateo is a luxury that this team can not afford.

Needs to be dealt before opening day, or Urias, and Wong,

What do you mean by “a luxury”?

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Offense needs to take a step forward and we have the talent to do sobut management need to realize that Mateo is a luxury that this team can not afford.

Within a roster full of redundant players, how is Mateo the one we can not afford?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree with you 100%.   The thing is, it’s pretty easy to see when he starts going bad.  That’s why I said he must drive the hitting coaches crazy.   Fingers crossed that he can stay with the current approach thru the season.  The results might still not be great but I think he’ll be a lot more fun to watch at bat.

You’d think that since it’s easy to see, it would be easy to correct.  For some reason, it isn’t.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo when he is playing well is truly a joy to watch. Even in the playoffs last year, watching him move was pretty incredible. 

But unless he finds another gear or settles into a more consistent hitter I think he ultimately gets pushed aside. And yes, I have no doubt he has frustrated coaches. 

In the meantime he is a valuable asset even if he isn’t valuable as a trade chip. I’m glad we have him and if/when he is overtaken I’ll wish him well. 

This is what happens with extremely deep and talented teams.  And it’s the type of problem you want to have. 

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Within a roster full of redundant players, how is Mateo the one we can not afford?

because he is the worst hitter on the roster, and we will need to score more runs this year.

Bench has to have better bats than Mateo

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

because he is the worst hitter on the roster, and we will need to score more runs this year.

Bench has to have better bats than Mateo

You didn't answer my question. It does not provide any value to have a player on the bench who is redundant for the player in the game.

Hypothetically, if our lineup is:

Gunnar, Adley, Santander, Mountcastle, Mayo, Holliday, Hays, Cowser, Westburg

Who does Kjersted pinch hit for?

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You didn't answer my question. It does not provide any value to have a player on the bench who is redundant for the player in the game.

Hypothetically, if our lineup is:

Gunnar, Adley, Santander, Mountcastle, Mayo, Holliday, Hays, Cowser, Westburg

Who does Kjersted pinch hit for?

Hays, Mayo, Mountcastle, or Westburg depending on how they are hitting recently and the particular RHP matchup.

Edited by RZNJ