The Importance of our Outfield Prospects

Sanfran327

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

This better articulates my opinion of Hays. Good post. And good point made by Frobby as well, I guess Hays has been on the field more than I gave him credit for, but I still think that Santander has been our most consistent OFer over the last 3-4 years than anyone else. Not even really sure how that's debatable, but I'm sure someone will show me. Count me as one of the guys that would like to keep Santander around at the right price as a RF contingency and DH option. 

No doubt that Hays and Mullins have shown us how good they can be, I just wish it could be for longer stretches. 

I’m totally on board with playing a 4/5 outfielder rotation where the top 3 get more rest.  A lot of Oriole fans don’t know this, but in 1971, “fourth outfielder” Merv Rettenmund actually had more PA than Frank Robinson, Paul Blair and Don Buford.  And even in 1970 he had 385 PA.   Weaver did not run his players into the ground.   

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know about being that cavalier about it.  He certainly has the inside track and they're going to give him every opportunity to show that he doesn't belong but I don't believe it's waiting for him.  He's gotta improve his hitting and take it.

They'll find someone else if they make themselves apparent.

I don't think they would have drafted Bradfield if they didn't plan on him taking over CF in 26. They are banking on him being ready. Doesn't mean it won't happen and they have to pivot to Cowser or Fabian or Beavers, not sure if he's a CF or not. 

16 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I don't think they would have drafted Bradfield if they didn't plan on him taking over CF in 26. They are banking on him being ready. Doesn't mean it won't happen and they have to pivot to Cowser or Fabian or Beavers, not sure if he's a CF or not. 

Sometimes we forget they do have the option of acquiring players via the free agent market lol. They don't ALL have to come from the farm. But, yeah, Bradfield has the inside track for now. I wouldn't ever say Elias is banking on anything though because that's not good for a GM to do. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wouldn't ever say Elias is banking on anything though because that's not good for a GM to do. 

Agreed.  He’s a guy who’s always going to have plans A, B, C and D.

58 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I don't think you can necessarily plan on or bank on a 17th overall pick to make it to the majors.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think you can necessarily plan on or bank on a 17th overall pick to make it to the majors.  

Yeah, they'll have other options just that it was obvious from the day he was drafted that there is an opening for Bradfield. He just has to show he's capable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, the odds of making the majors are decent enough — 39 of 59 (66%) to date for the 17th pick.  But only 12 of 59 have had 10 rWAR careers.  

• Upvote 1