Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

Holliday is becoming a bigger need for this team.

Tony has talked about the defense of Westburg at second and while I think he would be fine there, I do think the larger issue of constantly moving him back and forth is hurting him some.

The team also has a walk problem and too many guys swinging for the fences. It’s an all or nothing offense in a lot of ways.

Holliday can help with all of that, once he is healthy enough to play in the field.

Mayo going to first, occasionally third and some DH time can happen too.

Elias has talked about how Holliday is going to be a big part of this team this year.  I still think that’s the case but the elbow has to be healthy first.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony has talked about the defense of Westburg at second and while I think he would be fine there, I do think the larger issue of constantly moving him back and forth is hurting him some.

The team also has a walk problem and too many guys swinging for the fences. It’s an all or nothing offense in a lot of ways.

Holliday can help with all of that, once he is healthy enough to play in the field.

Elias has talked about how Holliday is going to be a big part of this team this year.  I still think that’s the case but the elbow has to be healthy first.

Agree with the Mayo assessment. His career path will  probably follow Mounty's path . Try him 3b, outfield if he does not stick settles in as future first baseman. I would still get some MLB reps at 3b right now,lets see what we got. Holliday? I know you like him but he looks like September call up, Hell they both might be the way it's going. And of course theres the trade deadline, although I dont see either getting Dealt

Mateo and Holliday would made the play on Soto's grounded  in the 9th last night.  But even further would either of them been on the way to 1B to get Soto in the rundown when Westburg wasn't?  I'm not sure.

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mateo and Holliday would made the play on Soto's grounded  in the 9th last night.  But even further would either of them been on the way to 1B to get Soto in the rundown when Westburg wasn't?  I'm not sure.

Mounty handled that whole thing poorly.  I wouldn’t put that on Westburg.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

We've already seen Mateo have an incredibly smart heads up play at 2B this year that nobody dreamed he would have made, I wouldn't say there is no chance he's not covering 1B.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Are you concerned with any of the stat cast info Tony posted over in the minors section on Holliday?

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Not remotely accurate. Jorge maybe makes it an easier play but JH isn’t in the same neighborhood as either of Jorge or JW on defense and that play isn’t routine or “on” JW. 

This isn't a dig at you personally so please don’t take it personal but this might be my greatest pet peeves of this board. If we are going to make declarations about minor league players (especially when comparing them to major league All-Stars) can we please watch some of the minor league games to actually see the minor league player perform, to make an educated comment on said minor league player?  This is classic OH fodder.

Again, not digging at you personally but this is why the perception of our players and prospects is constantly out of line and why we as a fan base continually overvalue our minor league players. Most of the folks who post anecdotally about our guys on the farm have never actually seen them play and it’s quite frustrating to have to wade through these comments.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mounty handled that whole thing poorly.  I wouldn’t put that on Westburg.

That's a separate issue.  2B still needs to be in the right position.  

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

Not remotely accurate. Jorge maybe makes it an easier play but JH isn’t in the same neighborhood as either of Jorge or JW on defense and that play isn’t routine or “on” JW. 

This isn't a dig at you personally so please don’t take it personal but this might be my greatest pet peeves of this board. If we are going to make declarations about minor league players (especially when comparing them to major league All-Stars) can we please watch some of the minor league games to actually see the minor league player perform, to make an educated comment on said minor league player?  This is classic OH fodder.

Again, not digging at you personally but this is why the perception of our players and prospects is constantly out of line and why we as a fan base continually overvalue our minor league players. Most of the folks who post anecdotally about our guys on the farm have never actually seen them play and it’s quite frustrating to have to wade through these comments.

Not offended.  I honestly value your assessment.  You've had a good read on Holliday's defense to date.  

My comment was based on Holliday having greater range than Westburg.   Westburg was a half step away and I think Holliday would have been a half step faster.  Do you not think that is true?  I trust Westburg's reaction time, glove and arm more.  But range?  

For the record  I've watched a few games this year.  Not as much as last season.  My take isn’t baseless.  Maybe not as experienced as yours but not without some actual exposure.

I think we'll see in August whether Elias wants to compete with Holliday, Mayo, both or neither come game 1.     The evaluation of whether Ryan O'Hearn should take 1/9th of the team's PA against RHP chasing this championship is big.

I think Aug-Sep is kind of table stakes if you want to prepare the kids for October.    An August lineup could conceivably be:

SS Gunnar, C Adley, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, LF Kjerstad, 3B Westburg, CF Cowser/Mullins, DH Mayo, 2B Holliday

Mayo-Holliday can go higher if they do the Evan Carter things.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think we'll see in August whether Elias wants to compete with Holliday, Mayo, both or neither come game 1.     The evaluation of whether Ryan O'Hearn should take 1/9th of the team's PA against RHP chasing this championship is big.

I think Aug-Sep is kind of table stakes if you want to prepare the kids for October.    An August lineup could conceivably be:

SS Gunnar, C Adley, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, LF Kjerstad, 3B Westburg, CF Cowser/Mullins, DH Mayo, 2B Holliday

Mayo-Holliday can go higher if they do the Evan Carter things.

Agree with all of this.