Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’ve seen him K on a couple of pitches off the plate he didn’t flinch on. They were not strikes, he took them, they were called strike 3. 

It’s encouraging to me to see him not expanding the zone too much yet. 

There was a game over the weekend where Holliday took a pitch that was just off the plate, but the umpire called it a strike. It was a good take and would have put him up 2-1 in the count. He's going to be fine we saw Gunnar and Rutschman go through adjustment period before getting comfortable with MLB pitchers.

1 hour ago, Gerard19 said:

It’s a team game. The O’s are 5-2 since his call up. They are getting wins while he is going through the “getting his feet wet” process. Very few big leaguers rake from the get-go so this is just part of the process.

Inability to "rake from the get-go"--that would seem to be a good inefficiency for the Moneyballers to figure out.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Just so everyone knows, I clearly am not the person that should be making picks for our team.  I wanted Druw Jones really badly.  Haha. 

Before the draft, almost everyone, including myself, would have taken him 1:1 but I trusted Elias to make the right decision.   Every writer and publication had Jones #1 at the time of the draft.  That’s not an exaggeration.  But if you are a D-Back fan those numbers combined with his troubles last year and comments about his swing have to be scary.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Just so everyone knows, I clearly am not the person that should be making picks for our team.  I wanted Druw Jones really badly.  Haha. 

Arizona has done well with picks, so I don’t mean this to be an indictment on them but you wonder if the Os would have gotten more out of him with how well they are developing guys.

That said, there were questions about his bat going into the draft. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just noticed that Holliday’s OAA is 3..3rd best in baseball amongst second baseman.

I know it’s a SSS and doesn’t really mean much but damn.

That makes no sense at all based on anything I’ve seen.  What plays has he made that an average 2B wouldn’t make?  None that I’ve seen.  On the other hand, I’ve seen him boot a certain DP grounder and only get one out, and not catch a tough outfield pop up.  Now, I haven’t watched every inning of every game.  Maybe I’ve missed 3 above average plays.   But I doubt it.  

• Upvote 2

They mentioned this last night, but can we chalk up a lot of these close takes/not recognizing the strike zone complaints that some people have in this thread to the differences in the strike zones between AAA and the MLB?  I think once he gets a handle on this new strike zone and starts being more aggressive early in at bats, he'll be fine.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Before the draft, almost everyone, including myself, would have taken him 1:1 but I trusted Elias to make the right decision.   Every writer and publication had Jones #1 at the time of the draft.  That’s not an exaggeration.  But if you are a D-Back fan those numbers combined with his troubles last year and comments about his swing have to be scary.   

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-mlb-mock-draft/

1. Baltimore Orioles
Pick: Termarr Johnson, SS, Mays HS (GA)

While most folks had Jones as the top pick, I don't recall anyone thinking it was some sort of big shock that Baltimore went with a different player.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That makes no sense at all based on anything I’ve seen.  What plays has he made that an average 2B wouldn’t make?  None that I’ve seen.  On the other hand, I’ve seen him boot a certain DP grounder and only get one out, and not catch a tough outfield pop up.  Now, I haven’t watched every inning of every game.  Maybe I’ve missed 3 above average plays.   But I doubt it.  

I was away for the weekend, so I can’t speak to it myself but I will say based on the SSS I have seen, that I agree with you.  But maybe he has shown some range on balls that they don’t feel most get to?  Not sure.

I wonder if statcast takes into account a potential double play grounder that you boot and only get one out on?  

Can statcast assume Gunnar makes the throw or that the first baseman catches it?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I said everyone had Jones rated 1:1.   Your mock draft doesn’t change that.  Fangraphs had Jones rated #1 as well.

It’s possible they, like most, view Druw Jones as the best player in the draft

It certainly seems as if Fangraphs didn't think it was unanimous.

Not sure why you just can't say most.

You have nothing to gain by being hyperbolic.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It certainly seems as if Fangraphs didn't think it was unanimous.

Not sure why you just can't say most.

You have nothing to gain by being hyperbolic.

What are the chances you get your(Moderator edit: c'mon now) to find one major writer who didn’t have Jones rated #1?

Law

Callis

Mayo

Baseball America

Longenhagen

McDaniel

Just now, RZNJ said:

What are the chances you get your lazy ass to find one major writer who didn’t have Jones rated #1?

Law

Callis

Mayo

Baseball America

Longenhagen

McDaniel

Don't have to.

1- The Fangraphs quote is sufficient.  The 45 seconds that took me was enough.

2- You've already decided to change the narrative to "major writer" from "every writer and publication".  Once you start moving goalposts it's time to move on.

NO ONE was shocked when Jones didn't go first.  This wasn't Harper, it wasn't Strasburg it wasn't even Rutschman. 

You don't deserve more of my time.