Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You keep bringing up Grayson but it’s an absolutely terrible comp.

Grayson failed in ST. He looked awful. He didn’t look good at the end of the previous year and he was hurt.  Then, he got brought up quickly and for the most part, looked bad again. His mechanics were out of whack and that went back to the season before. He needed to go to the minors to start the year and probably shouldn’t have been brought up to begin with.  I was ok with it but he clearly just wasn’t ready.

None of that is even remotely similar to this situation. There is no injury, there was no poor play at any point. It’s 30 shitty at bats where he has had some terrible calls go against him and a little bit of a bad luck on some batted balls. Yes, he has largely not looked good.  Oh the horror!  Imagine a 20 year old in his first stint struggling early on.  I’m shocked and appalled!

Its an apples to Buicks comparison.  Just stop with the GRod stuff. If you want to bring up a comp and attempt to have an actual conversation, the comp would be Cowser…or you can talk about Bregman. 

And your last paragraph is just stupidity at its finest.  

A little bad luck on balls in play?   LOL

There was literally one ball in play that had a chance.

Use the Cowser comparison.  He wasn’t ready.  Needed to get more aggressive at bat and in the field.  Sent down and told what he needed to work on.  He’s a totally different player both ways this year.

Elias will be patient but if Holliday doesn’t pick it up he’ll get the same treatment as Cowser but since we’re early in the season his chances of coming back up are much better.

This service time is a non issue.  If he gets sent down this week or in 3 weeks.  No difference.   The only difference maker is not getting sent down at all.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You keep bringing up Grayson but it’s an absolutely terrible comp.

Grayson failed in ST. He looked awful. He didn’t look good at the end of the previous year and he was hurt.  Then, he got brought up quickly and for the most part, looked bad again. His mechanics were out of whack and that went back to the season before. He needed to go to the minors to start the year and probably shouldn’t have been brought up to begin with.  I was ok with it but he clearly just wasn’t ready.

None of that is even remotely similar to this situation. There is no injury, there was no poor play at any point. It’s 30 shitty at bats where he has had some terrible calls go against him and a little bit of a bad luck on some batted balls. Yes, he has largely not looked good.  Oh the horror!  Imagine a 20 year old in his first stint struggling early on.  I’m shocked and appalled!

Its an apples to Buicks comparison.  Just stop with the GRod stuff. If you want to bring up a comp and attempt to have an actual conversation, the comp would be Cowser…or you can talk about Bregman. 

And your last paragraph is just stupidity at its finest.  

I am not sure if you are realizing the extent to which JH has been bad.  Not just bad.  Almost historically bad.

Right now he has no business being on a MLB field.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is fake news.   Before today's game, at the time this was posted, Judge's last 5 games were:

0 for 4
1 for 5
1 for 3
0 for 4
1 for 4

That's 3 for 20, not 1 for 20.   He did have 12 Ks.

He went 0 for 4 with 2 Ks today.  So now 3 for 24, with 14 Ks.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am not sure if you are realizing the extent to which JH has been bad.  Not just bad.  Almost historically bad.

Right now he has no business being on a MLB field.

I realize it…if you realize it, we all realize it.

Some of it also realize that fixing at this level is possible and would rather go that route 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

This is fake news.   Before today's game, at the time this was posted, Judge's last 5 games were:

0 for 4
1 for 5
1 for 3
0 for 4
1 for 4

He is also hurt. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

0 for 4
1 for 5
1 for 3
0 for 4
1 for 4

Not that it matters but I have him at 2-21 with 12K’s prior to 4/21 at 11AM when the tweet was tweeted. 

Yankees can’t love the knowledge that their 6’7” $360M man has a toe that is going to require constant maintenance and treatment the rest of his career. Sure wish he had been on a different team and I could root for him.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I like Judge, at least for a player who is a Yankee.  This generation of Yankees is not nearly as easy to hate as the Jeter/Arod/Giambi/Wells generation.

Knoblauch comes to mind, too.

On 4/18/2024 at 6:03 AM, Bemorewins said:

Is this a serious statement? 

Did we find out if Cowser was “cut out for the majors” last season when he struggled? Did we find out about Grayson last season when he struggles so much that he had to be sent down?

Just curious, how long have you watched baseball? I ask because I have read several of these hyperbolic reactions when the kid hasn’t even played a full week of games and the first thing that I a think is what is this poster’s frame of reference? Have they not watched various top players/prospect struggle when first coming to the show?

I don’t mean to be insulting but it get’s a little exhausting reading these type of instantaneous indictments of a 20 year-old uber-talented kid who has not found his groove after 25 ABs.

Yeah, its a serious statement, if you dont get that you dont find out someones character until they struggle, then you dont know anything about life.  Everyone goes through major struggles, and many times.

Yes, we DID find out Cowser was cut out for the majors, because look how he took that adversity and fought through it.  You literally havent spent a moment reading any of my constant comments supporting Holliday apparently and saying too many people are overreacting, and went with a hyperbolic reaction.  I literally posted great examples of other elite players who struggled early on right below that.

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:38 AM, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think we need to talk in absolutes here. It’s possible he’s just not ready. Look at Cowser last year compared to this season.

Its not an absolute, I dont take "finding out" to be Holliday has to start hitting this week, I take it as Holliday is now going through a mental struggle that he probably hasnt had to yet, and it may take months for him to get past that(like Cowser did months later), but you'll probably know within the year if a player has the fortitude to beat it rather than letting it beat him.  Everyone goes through it, almost all have good talent.

5 hours ago, PeregrineT said:

Yeah, its a serious statement, if you dont get that you dont find out someones character until they struggle, then you dont know anything about life.  Everyone goes through major struggles, and many times.

Yes, we DID find out Cowser was cut out for the majors, because look how he took that adversity and fought through it.  You literally havent spent a moment reading any of my constant comments supporting Holliday apparently and saying too many people are overreacting, and went with a hyperbolic reaction.  I literally posted great examples of other elite players who struggled early on right below that.

To each their own. Carry on…

I trust the O’s and Elias’ handling of him.  Similar to Decosta and the Ravens, they seem to make more good decisions than other clubs do.  

I think he can work it out at the major league level if they do.  Wouldn’t be worried if he got sent down to regain some confidence.

The Cowser comp last year is silly. He wasn’t getting consistent at bats when he got called up. And with an outfield of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Hicks and McKenna, he wasn’t going to. 

Hoisting up Cowser’s bad stint from last year like it’s some kind of proof that JH needs to be demoted right away is not a good argument. But you guys can keep making it since you think it’s some kind of victory.