Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where’d the rampant leg kick speculation come from? Wouldn’t be the first player to have a leg kick, won’t be the last. 

Ben mentioned it. Bregman had a pronounced leg kick in the minors.  Came to the majors and had a similar start. Went to minors, let kick less pronounced second time around and he became who he is.

So obviously, this is the exact same situation and the leg kick must be the problem.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ben mentioned it. Bregman had a pronounced leg kick in the minors.  Came to the majors and had a similar start. Went to minors, let kick less pronounced second time around and he became who he is.

So obviously, this is the exact same situation and the leg kick must be the problem.

Good info. I missed that on the broadcast. I don’t think we see Holliday until July or when his new super two date would be. Mid July/August/September is still plenty of time to evaluate him at the mlb level for the playoffs. 

Mayo will probably get a look before Holliday is back. I think we’re going to see Mateo play more. If that faceplants then Mayo could be up before the June super two date. 

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If (doing something slightly different) then (clearly this is why is MLB career is off the rails and it must be fixed and clearly the Orioles professional coaches and scouts totally missed it for the past several years and AAA pitchers are helpless to exploit this glaring flaw).

Yeh, I can't imagine that there have been successful ML hitters in history that have had a leg kick.  This must be stopped immediately.

7248edb819cc6b7a931243aaa2db5884.jpg

main-qimg-5d211e02711788f6461958dc28fe34

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1O7u3aFqrXY2XMyKV9J2

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

For most of baseball history there were weird, idiosyncratic things players did and for the most part they were left alone. Because whatever strange stance, windup, delivery or technique that they had, they were in the majors. Clearly it was working.

HOFer Al Simmons was known as Bucketfoot Al because he stepped towards 3rd when batting. If the internet had existed in 1924, the first time he went into a slump the screaming and gnashing of teeth would have been unrelenting. Send this idiot back to the minors, he's never going to hit like that against real pitchers! 

Mel Ott, another HOFer, 2nd guy to get to 500 homers, had a leg kick that puts Holliday to shame. Disco Dan Ford batted with his back to the pitcher. He was so oddly situated in the box that teams would play him (a RHH) like a left-handed pull hitter. Luis Tiant had that windup that ended up with his back to the batter in mid-delivery.

The internet coaches would have savaged all of them at the first 3-game slump. I'm half convinced that all those kind of things mostly disappeared just to stop the wailing from the peanut gallery.

• Upvote 1

Well he isn't exactly tearing it up since he got sent down.  I think he is something like 6 for 31 since?  Which makes him 8 for 70  (roughly) since his call up.

Which is batting around .115 or so for the past month.

He has obviously hit a level of talent that he is not handling all that well.  Considering his age, unless he really starts tearing it up?  I would be inclined to leave him down in AAA all year until the late season call ups. 

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well he isn't exactly tearing it up since he got sent down.  I think he is something like 6 for 31 since?  Which makes him 8 for 70  (roughly) since his call up.

He has obviously hit a level of talent that he is not handling all that well.  Considering his age, unless he really starts tearing it up?  I would be inclined to leave him down in AAA all year until the late season call ups. 

I have a question for you and I don’t mean for this to come across as accusatory (unless it is true and I don’t know if it is).

Are you an Oriole fan or more of a “fan”/detractor of Jackson Holliday?

I ask because you seem to be very focused on the struggles of this one 20 year old player. However, last week, we had a tremendous pitching performance by our entire starting staff and to my knowledge (I don’t recall a single comment from you about that). Maybe you did and I missed it? Which is very possible. Or maybe you just weren’t on here and we’re busy with other stuff? I get it we all have lives.

I bring this up because I have noticed that you have very little to say/contribute regarding all of the positives regarding this team who has the second most wins in the Majors. And I was curious as to why that is? (No judgment. Just a curiosity.)

• Upvote 1

On MILB on Friday they showed a replay of the Norfolk game from earlier. Good team effort. Colby and Mayo look like the real deal - good bat speed and lots of contact. For pitching, Cade Povich looks like the real deal also- great start from him. For Holliday, I am sure he has a great future with us that I look forward to enjoying; however, in the meantime he needs some batting tips. His head is yanking on every swing making his helmet fly loose. Keep your head down and see the ball hit the bat please!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I have a question for you and I don’t mean for this to come across as accusatory (unless it is true and I don’t know if it is).

Are you an Oriole fan or more of a “fan”/detractor of Jackson Holliday?

I ask because you seem to be very focused on the struggles of this one 20 year old player. However, last week, we had a tremendous pitching performance by our entire starting staff and to my knowledge (I don’t recall a single comment from you about that). Maybe you did and I missed it? Which is very possible. Or maybe you just weren’t on here and we’re busy with other stuff? I get it we all have lives.

I bring this up because I have noticed that you have very little to say/contribute regarding all of the positives regarding this team who has the second most wins in the Majors. And I was curious as to why that is? (No judgment. Just a curiosity.)

I continue posting ITT about JH because I was a big proponent of him making the MLB team coming out of spring training and was pretty down on Elias for not putting him on the opening day roster.  I was obviously very very VERY WRONG lol.   But I am not afraid to admit I was and am rooting for JH to turn things around. 

As far as the posting overall?  I have been in Vegas since last week and haven't been on here much.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

8 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well, the kid posted .267/.396/.400 in AAA last year, and was at .333/.482/.595 prior to his call-up.   I’m inclined to think he can hit AAA pitching just fine, he just has gotten a bit spun around during his major league call-up and needs a little time to regain his footing.  In any event, it’s only been 8 games back in AAA and he does have a .385 OBP in that span.  So, I’m pretty comfortable he’ll be acing AAA again pretty soon.  

• Upvote 3

On 5/2/2024 at 4:52 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Good info. I missed that on the broadcast. I don’t think we see Holliday until July or when his new super two date would be. Mid July/August/September is still plenty of time to evaluate him at the mlb level for the playoffs. 

Mayo will probably get a look before Holliday is back. I think we’re going to see Mateo play more. If that faceplants then Mayo could be up before the June super two date. 

Coby Mayo has EARNED a call up. Jackson Holliday has not.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo has EARNED a call up. Jackson Holliday has not.

He has. And odds are good he struggles at first. League batting average is .239 and there are a good number of vets who are putting up awful numbers so far. JH demotion was badly needed...he just wasn't ready yet. Mayo, Kjerstad, Norby......in today's baseball these guys are going to need a commitment of playing time in order to develop them into productive MLB hitters......moreso than in the past. The gap between AAA and MLB success is wider than ever. So the thought of trying to break these guys in by splitting their time with guys like Hays, Mateo, Urias, O'Hearn seems like a miscalculation of the current day environment of MLB that you wouldn't expect from the kind of front office we have. Just my read of course....not gospel.