Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I tend to agree, but I think they believe that's the best defensive alignment when using Urias. We'll see. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I tend to agree, but I think they believe that's the best defensive alignment when using Urias. We'll see. 

Won’t surprise me but Urias, according to Fangraphs was much better at 2B than 3B last year.  He was actually better at 2B than Westburg according to DRS and OAA.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Won’t surprise me but Urias, according to Fangraphs was much better at 2B than 3B last year.  He was actually better at 2B than Westburg according to DRS and OAA.

Don't make Jim Palmer point to the sign that says GOLD GLOVE. 100% chance he mentions it anytime Urias starts a game. 🙄

Edited by interloper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

They had already shown their hand 5 times that this is what they'd do

Yeah, but Westburg has become such a staple to the lineup and begun to establish himself offensively I thought they might do the Gunnar thing and say 3B is yours.  No more back and forth. 

• Upvote 1

Disappointed that Jackson couldn't stick in his 1st exposure to the majors.  He seemed to be making more contact the last few games.  Obviously still striking out way too much.  The O's got that 7th year of control and no one can say his time was manipulated.  Will be interesting to see how long it takes for him to start hitting in Norfolk again.

59 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

https://basetunnel.substack.com/p/what-raising-a-chess-prodigy-has

Jackson Holliday is only mentioned once but the whole thing revolves around "what next" for special savants...

Reading that made me think of life imitating art - dad's story sounded just like the Joe Mantegna dad character's arc in Searching for Bobby Fischer.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, but Westburg has become such a staple to the lineup and begun to establish himself offensively I thought they might do the Gunnar thing and say 3B is yours.  No more back and forth. 

Agree, though I’d then expect Mayo to get moved to 1B and not sure if that’s happened yet.

17 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Agree, though I’d then expect Mayo to get moved to 1B and not sure if that’s happened yet.

With Mountcastle and O'Hearn, I don't see how moving to 1B helps Mayo this year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Saw some clips of him last year and was interesting. 
    • 2024 is the year of the pitcher for the O's.  DeLeon is a dude and "chalk" for guesses.  Forret can pop.  Povich isn't on most (any?) top 100, but he's been fringy for the past year+.  He's trending toward a top 50 type. He won't be on lists, but Braxton Bragg has a 14+ k/9 and a 1.69 bb/9.  Maybe a BP nugget next year depending on how he’s doing it. Willem is doing things as a C.  Beavers has been fringy and has been strong so far.  Both probably need a bit more. FCL is too soon to guess... but Almeyda and Liranzo are interesting.  Still a top 5 system I think.  I don't know other organizations as well, but (a good shot at) 3 top 15 guys carries a lot of weight.  Even "losing" Cowser/Ortiz and maybe HK, they are back-filled by good pitchers who weren't really on national radars.
    • In your opinion what has made Jackson Holliday the number rated prospect in all of MLB? I ask because if you believe in that valuation/talent profile/projection, that is not a player at age 20 who you say he’s only average here so he must go there (where who knows how he’ll be, but oh well on to the next).  Mookie Betts is the absolute rarity in his ability to move all over the baseball field and excel. How many other guys have done that and can realistically do that? I would bet very few. I’m not sure if that is the wisest call to make that the standard for anyone, let alone your most prized minor league asset.
    • As long you’ve been a fan of the O’s, as impressive as Mayo’s offensive stats are, you have to know that those Minor League numbers do not carry a direct one-to-one correlation to the Bigs. Despite the gaudy numbers, there is no guarantee that he wouldn’t struggle initially with the O’s (like so many other recent prospects have). Is there any downside in allowing him to continue to work on his defense at AAA? Since that appears to be the area of his game that is not “big league ready”?
    • So am I reading those suggestions correctly? They think Mountcastle is either worth a Tier One Division One starter... or a Tier 2 Division 2 starter? I vote for the first 😉
    • So... innocently misreading a post is ban-worthy?
    • Posted this in another thread but a reminder of how Holliday views his leg kick:   https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jackson-holliday-talks-hitting/   Now maybe he’s wrong about the leg kick as he faces tougher pitching but I don’t see him dropping it anytime soon. I also don’t recall anyone being worried about it before.
  • Popular Contributors