Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

23 hours ago, LookinUp said:

For my money, I don't love the huge load and leg kick. I think it really lengthens the swing in an attempt to generate power.

The leg kick nothing to do with the length of swing.  The swing starts when the front heel drops (after whatever stride/load mechanism is used).  

I remember last year when we would see highlights of Holliday swinging, people were in awe of the leg kick and just the overall beauty of the swing.

30 ML at bats later and people think it’s going to end his career.  This site never ceases to amaze me how often some poster fly off the handle over small sample sizes.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The leg kick nothing to do with the length of swing.  The swing starts when the front heel drops (after whatever stride/load mechanism is used).  

You might be technically correct. I don't know. 

The reason I feel the way I do is because the leg kick tends to mean that more weight is shifted to the backside leg. When I say it lengthens the swing, I mean it lengthens the time, not the path. It's like you're digging out of a hole to get that weight shifted. 

Obviously that's probably more of a youth problem than a Jackson Holliday problem, but I feel like I've seen his swing (when it wasn't working) before, and that's the problem I've seen.

The Robo/challenge system in AAA has to help a kid with super natural knowledge of the strikezone.  Then he gets to the majors and all that goes out the window and umpires got a dinner date at Ruth Chris Steak House and the strikeouts pile up.  

I want robo umps in the worse way.  I made post about wanting it 15 years ago or more.  I think they are all gone now but I wish I could find them.  We are so close to dumping the "joy" of trying to figure out what 60 year old fat dude behind the plate thinks is a strike tonight.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DenPA2002 said:

11/39 with 15 walks, 9 SOs, 1 HR, a few doubles and stolen bases.

Yeah I mean he isn't killing it, but he is on the upswing for sure.   Let's hope by July or so he is crushing AAA pitching and ready for a call up.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Interesting note at the end of this highlight about Hollidays dad

There we go. To my untrained eye this swing looks much more orthodox than his swing has looked in the past. He simply lifts the leg and puts it back down. Before I seem to remember the leg moving backward before striding forward. He would spend an abnormal amount of time balanced on one foot. This swing looks different. 

27 minutes ago, joelala said:

There we go. To my untrained eye this swing looks much more orthodox than his swing has looked in the past. He simply lifts the leg and puts it back down. Before I seem to remember the leg moving backward before striding forward. He would spend an abnormal amount of time balanced on one foot. This swing looks different. 

100%.

When he was with the O's he lifted the leg, hovered it like a UFO, levitated it like a magician, and then waited and tried to time his swing with the leg hovering.

That is just way too much thinking.  It isn't natural. 

That swing on the home run?  He lifted his leg.  Started to put it down BEFORE the ball reached him,  and then decided to swing or not.

Much more natural. 

Encouraging. 

Another  subtle difference.  His stance was very upright with stiff legs before he initiated his load.  Now he’s already flexed at his knees.  Not sure what it means technically but it looks better now.