Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

A number of things intrigue me. We have spent a lot of time over the years complaining about an ownership "that meddled." We really don't want an ownership that "meddles," do we? What I have heard very often is give the GM and his team a budget and let them run the business. That could very well be simply what's at play here.

I, like many, saw the logic in signing Montgomery to a contract like he recieved. Perhaps, this year's budget was already set, and new ownership wasn't going to usurp what had previously been decided beforehand. Perhaps new ownership's model will be to continue letting Elias run the business within the budget guidelines. I for one hope that is the case whether I agree with all of Elias's decisions or not. I just hope and want to believe, future budget allotments will allow for more major league team investment - more flexability if you would.

I don't want an owner who thinks they are smarter than their GM. Been there done that. So, I am riding with no Montgomery and looking forward to how a new ownership/GM team and future budget allotments play out.

The new owner simply assuring the GM that if Elias and his team believe additional resources would help their plan this year then they can be made available is not meddling but simply acknowledging that he and his group have significantly more resources than Angelos. 

12 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

A number of things intrigue me. We have spent a lot of time over the years complaining about an ownership "that meddled." We really don't want an ownership that "meddles," do we? What I have heard very often is give the GM and his team a budget and let them run the business. That could very well be simply what's at play here.

I, like many, saw the logic in signing Montgomery to a contract like he recieved. Perhaps, this year's budget was already set, and new ownership wasn't going to usurp what had previously been decided beforehand. Perhaps new ownership's model will be to continue letting Elias run the business within the budget guidelines. I for one hope that is the case whether I agree with all of Elias's decisions or not. I just hope and want to believe, future budget allotments will allow for more major league team investment - more flexability if you would.

I don't want an owner who thinks they are smarter than their GM. Been there done that. So, I am riding with no Montgomery and looking forward to how a new ownership/GM team and future budget allotments play out.

Whatever led us to effectively bypass FA last year only adding Gibson and Frazier, use the deadline to acquire largely useless pieces like Fuji and Flaherty, and punt on FA this offseason; that needs to be stopped/discontinued.

Elias has the drafting/talent development part sowed up and is par excellent at that part of things. But there is also another side to this, the side that can utilize ALL of the tools at to help build a championship team. 

We may be able to get there (highly unlikely) only drafting and developing with no extensions, meaningful FA adds, and very few impact trades (Burnes has been the only up to date). But why should we even attempt to go at it with one hand tied behind our back? Just to prove we are smarter than everyone else?

Other orgs have very smart people, using data science, etc. But they are also using all the means that are given in the sport for talent acquisition. Not just some.

The owner should not interfere with what is working. But he should assist in helping to fix what is not. 

How much better could we be if we combined Elias' drafting and player development skills with the ability to acquire impact players through FA and trade? - That's what I am hoping Rubenstien fixes.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The new owner simply assuring the GM that if Elias and his team believe additional resources would help their plan this year then they can be made available is not meddling but simply acknowledging that he and his group have significantly more resources than Angelos. 

And, that is the way it should/could be done. Let's see how it plays out. DR sounds like his model will be to let the GM and his people do their job and his is to support their efforts/percieved needs. Like what he has said so far.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Whatever led us to effectively bypass FA last year only adding Gibson and Frazier, use the deadline to acquire largely useless pieces like Fuji and Flaherty, and punt on FA this offseason; that needs to be stopped/discontinued.

Elias has the drafting/talent development part sowed up and is par excellent at that part of things. But there is also another side to this, the side that can utilize ALL of the tools at to help build a championship team. 

We may be able to get there (highly unlikely) only drafting and developing with no extensions, meaningful FA adds, and very few impact trades (Burnes has been the only up to date). But why should we even attempt to go at it with one hand tied behind our back? Just to prove we are smarter than everyone else?

Other orgs have very smart people, using data science, etc. But they are also using all the means that are given in the sport for talent acquisition. Not just some.

The owner should not interfere with what is working. But he should assist in helping to fix what is not. 

How much better could we be if we combined Elias' drafting and player development skills with the ability to acquire impact players through FA and trade? - That's what I am hoping Rubenstien fixes.

Great post. I just hope it's been budgetary limits put forth by John "McScrooge" Angelos and not a risk aversion by Elias that has kept us from acquiring this kind of impact talent through FA/trade. We'll have a better idea at the trading deadline and great idea by next spring training. 

I think Montgomery was a desperation move for the D-Backs. I bet E-Rod's injury is worse than they are letting on. Montgomery likely won't make a start until May and if he's bad, and his option vests he's making 50M dollars. I get he looked good in a few playoff games, but he looked bad in a couple as well last year. I'm not going to pretend he's Andy Pettitte out there in the playoffs.

More of a nice-to-have than a must-have where I'm sitting.