Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Montgomery is reportedly looking for $20-$24 mil a season, and if the Orioles could get him for something like that over a two-year deal with an opt out, it seems to make some sense. 

Montgomery probably would not be ready to pitch until Late April so some of his value has already come off, but Montgomery would look pretty good in this rotation. 

While the O's will most likely get Means back before June, Bradish is a wild card and I don't think they can count on him this year. If he does come back, great, but the chances of both Means and Bradish coming back and pitching strong down the stretch is probably not great. 

Kremer's velocity seemed to be down this spring and Irvin was very underwhelming after his first appearance of the spring, so Montgomery may not be luxury, but rather could be a necessity at some point for a team that fancies itself a World Series contender.

I have heard the Orioles are in touch with him so this does remain an opportunity, though I do expect one of the new York team to sweep in and get him.

Interesting, you don't typically start threads like this, I am thinking maybe you have heard a little more than we just in touch with him.

I don't think Elias and the O's feel as desperate as some other teams may be feeling.  So, I don't see us ponying up that kind of money.  But, if that's what it takes to compete at a higher level, how do you not consider it?

I'm not getting my hopes up but it would make a lot of sense. 

If the vote goes through on Wednesday, how long until Rubenstein controls the budget? I'm not expecting the O's to suddenly turn into huge spenders with the new ownership. But this strikes me as the type of deal Elias/Rubenstein could be on the same page about, where Elias/Angelos were not.

Makes sense. May be why he hasn't signed yet. Waiting For Wednesday!!!!!!!!!! Takes Irvin's place and Means lets Wells solidify the pen. Irvin to long relief or.... Let's hope that wall is a good recruiter! Plus, money of course and a team/town that will contend and not have/put their players in a NY spotlight. 

I’ve been telling myself it’s not realistic to hope for this all offseason, even with the new ownership. The fact that we’re 48 hours away from the approval and he’s still unsigned, on top of your note that we’ve been in touch, I’ll at least let myself entertain it. I think he’d be an ideal acquisition; what an opportunity for new ownership to endear themselves to the fans too.

• Upvote 1

Not gonna happen. ME will say,”We got Povich and Mcdermott and Suarez times two! And they're cheap!”

Seriously, no. Mike is confident he did enough so we can make the playoffs with the current crowd and that’s what matters.

Anything more than is necessary is wasted. Why spend money to get 120% when all you need is 100%?

Nah.

He's gonna dance with the gals he’s got.

Mind you I’m Not saying I agree, that’s just what I think.

The Orioles make a LOT of sense from Montgomery’s perspective.  LHP in OPACY, good team. Perfect for a 1-yr contract. No luxury tax concerns, wait until after Opening Day so he can’t get QO’d and that’s conveniently when the new owner is signing the checks. 

Also checks the obvious boxes of need for the Orioles, although we get so little leaks in the media about the Orioles’ degree of interest in any one player that it’s hard to know if Elias thinks he’s worth what he’s asking. He at least checks the “no long term deals” box.

Otherwise the only question is how much payroll flexibility the Orioles truly have and whether there’s a more desperate team that will outbid the Orioles and incur the luxury tax to do it. I don’t think the Orioles will be desperate and their payroll plans are a mystery. But if the money is equal I’d think Montgomery would choose the Orioles over a lot of places. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Makes sense. May be why he hasn't signed yet. Waiting For Wednesday!!!!!!!!!! Takes Irvin's place and Means lets Wells solidify the pen. Irvin to long relief or.... Let's hope that wall is a good recruiter! Plus, money of course and a team/town that will contend and not have/put their players in a NY spotlight. 

Makes some sense now doesn't it? ;)

Can't make any signings right now, but what better way to open up a new season by announcing a new official owner who announces a great big splashy singing. 

I'm not saying this is what's going to happen, but it makes some sense to why has hasn't signed yet.

He makes a lot of sense to this rotation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The Orioles make a LOT of sense from Montgomery’s perspective.  LHP in OPACY, good team. Perfect for a 1-yr contract. No luxury tax concerns, wait until after Opening Day so he can’t get QO’d and that’s conveniently when the new owner is signing the checks. 

This was the other part of the equation I forgot to add. Now this also could mean he's got a better offer from one of the NY teams and he was just waiting to be cleared of the QO so he's more easily able to go back on the FA market next year. 

But, no one gives him a better ballpark and chance of winning than the Orioles.