2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because he isn't up here for his development.

He's here as a warm body because he was on the 40 man.

I can understand the logic in that even if I don’t agree with how the team is not playing him.

If what you state is true then do you think he goes back to AAA when Hays returns? I always thought that it was going to be McKenna who has would replace. 

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Because Santander has a .644 OPS vs RHP and you can't leave that on the bench

That’s actually higher than Kjerstad’s career OPS against RHP.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It's actually not

Got me.    Kjerstad’s career OPS is .643.  Against RHP it’s.662.   

Of course against RHP Santander is .753 career and was .795 last year.

Edited by RZNJ

I'd like to see Kjerstad play but the reality is I trust Santander, Mountcastle, and O'hearn far more.  Sure, he needs to play and have the chance to earn that trust, but a first place battle isn't the time for that, and its just too early in the season for random rest days to matter.  Kjerstad is injury insurance - and that policy will be on the bench in Baltimore at times, and on the field in Norfolk at other times.  It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I'd like to see Kjerstad play but the reality is I trust Santander, Mountcastle, and O'hearn far more.  Sure, he needs to play and have the chance to earn that trust, but a first place battle isn't the time for that, and its just too early in the season for random rest days to matter.  Kjerstad is injury insurance - and that policy will be on the bench in Baltimore at times, and on the field in Norfolk at other times.  It is what it is.

It would help of Kjerstad could play 2B/3B because it's going to be tough to break into the lineup with O'Hearn, Mountcastle and Santander. But yesterday would have been a good chance to use Kjerstad as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning for Mateo.

There are ways to use Kjerstad even if his spots in the starting lineup are going to be limited.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Because Santander has a .644 OPS vs RHP and you can't leave that on the bench

Isn't Kjerstad still striking out in LA?  Or his he stuck misplaying those two balls in RF?  Earn your spot when given the opportunity.  

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn't Kjerstad still striking out in LA?  Or his he stuck misplaying those two balls in RF?  Earn your spot when given the opportunity.  

You can't earn anything, good or bad, in one game.  That's just silly.  Again, I get why he's not starting, but its not because he had one bad game.  Its because there isn't room in the lineup for him at the spots he's capable of playing (or really at any other spot for that matter, other than maybe 2B).

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Interesting.  Probably our A lineup with our current makeup.  Have we seen Westburg start at 2B this year?  If so, not in awhile.  

He played 2B the first game of the OAK series after Holliday was optioned. Then Mateo started Game 2 against a LHP and Game 3 due to Westburg's illness. Westburg 2B-Urias 3B seems like the best defensive alignment for the A Lineup.

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would help of Kjerstad could play 2B/3B because it's going to be tough to break into the lineup with O'Hearn, Mountcastle and Santander. But yesterday would have been a good chance to use Kjerstad as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning for Mateo.

There are ways to use Kjerstad even if his spots in the starting lineup are going to be limited.

It would help if Kjerstad could play 1B/RF good enough to gain Elias/Hyde trust.  I feel they think of Kjerstad as just a DH/bat off the bench right now.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It would help if Kjerstad could play 1B/RF good enough to gain Elias/Hyde trust.  I feel they think of Kjerstad as just a DH/bat off the bench right now.

What Kjerstad really needs is an injury or prolonged slump by Cowser, Santander, or O'Hearn. At least one of those would have been a pretty solid bet before the season but so far they have all performed well. He will get his opportunity, just not right now. 

Okay fine, HK is here for injury insurance and not development I get that. Which makes the McKenna move more infuriating. We could have had Mayo or Norby up here playing the IF instead of Urias/Mateo.

My guess is Kjerstad goes down when Hays gets back because gotta not risk losing McKenna just like Elias was too much of a wuss to DFA Baumann or Ramirez today for Perez.

• Upvote 1