2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the right move. Mullins hasn’t been hitting lefties and I think giving him a day off is a smart move.  

Starting McKenna is NEVER the right move. He shouldn't be on the roster much less in the starting lineup.  Sitting Mullins is fine,  he could use a day off.   But that doesn't mean you have to start McKenna.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Starting McKenna is NEVER the right move. He shouldn't be on the roster much less in the starting lineup.  Sitting Mullins is fine,  he could use a day off.   But that doesn't mean you have to start McKenna.   

It’s either him or Urias. You have to give guys at bats in the event that you need them. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

You have guaranteed McKenna is gonna go 3-4 with 2 doubles, a steal, 4 RBI and a home run stealing catch at the wall. 

Anybody saying they hate this lineup must not have been watching games in 2021 and early 2022.  Hate is a pretty strong word for lineups that include Henderson, Rutschman, Santander, Mountcastle, Cowser, Westburg.  The other three hardly matter in comparison to the lineups just a couple seasons ago.

People have become very spoiled, very quickly.

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

Anybody saying they hate this lineup must not have been watching games in 2021 and early 2022.  Hate is a pretty strong word for lineups that include Henderson, Rutschman, Santander, Mountcastle, Cowser, Westburg.  The other three hardly matter in comparison to the lineups just a couple seasons ago.

The only thing I will say to this, in defense of anyone who doesn’t like it, is that it does suck knowing we could have a lineup today of more talented players but the team has too many “vets they like” and those guys are blocked.

When you see lineups with several guys like Mateo (who is doing a good job in a reduced role), McKenna, McCann, et al or does make you clamor for them to bring up the better players.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If he was Jeff Reboulet, he'd be batting 2nd.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA199710010.shtml

Looking back at that box score, it has been a minute since I'd remembered Jerome Walton, Davey's pick over Rafael Palmeiro that day.

The RHB stack lineup came up big for us that series. Reboulet homered in Game 4! Crazy to have Robbie and Palmeiro on the bench but it worked. Berroa was a big contributor as well. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s either him or Urias. You have to give guys at bats in the event that you need them. 

Given the current roster construction, I don't disagree.  My point was that he shouldn't be on the roster to be getting starts at all.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You have guaranteed McKenna is gonna go 3-4 with 2 doubles, a steal, 4 RBI and a home run stealing catch at the wall. 

If that happens I'll GLADLY eat some crow!  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only thing I will say to this, in defense of anyone who doesn’t like it, is that it does suck knowing we could have a lineup today of more talented players but the team has too many “vets they like” and those guys are blocked.

When you see lineups with several guys like Mateo (who is doing a good job in a reduced role), McKenna, McCann, et al or does make you clamor for them to bring up the better players.

Except the 'better' players might come up and suck for a while, perhaps a couple months.  And then people are bitching about players who aren't hitting still getting starts.  We have to at least acknowledge the possibility that Norby, Mayo et al would come up here and go 2-40 like Holliday just did.

Mateo and McCann are both playing well enough to deserve starts as often as they are getting them, especially with a lefty on the mound.  McKenna is only here until Hays is back presumably, and if you aren't going to start him today, you never are, so no issue w/ him either.  There's not a single undeserving player in today's lineup.

I'll stand by it - very spoiled, very quickly.

• Upvote 2

I want them to win every game, but that's not going to happen. Win or lose today, they're still the team that's going to win the AL East. We have to have lineups like this in order to do that.

8 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

While partly true, at some point we have to stop referring to the 'dark days' as the measuring stick for how things should be.  Just because our 'average' lineup today crushes what we had a few years ago doesn't mean that we can't improve on what we currently have, or discuss when things are less than optimal.