Kyle Stowers 2024

Jagwar

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not likely.  The likelihood of a post being about the OP goes down dramatically after about the 10th page.

I do think Stowers has a greater than 0 chance of being on our OD roster next year. 

Mayo replaces Urias

Stowers replaces Santa

Holliday replaces Mateo

Basallo replaces McCann(probably another C for a bit)

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not likely.  The likelihood of a post being about the OP goes down dramatically after about the 10th page.

Between this being a Stowers thread and him talking about it how Stowers reminds him of Scott, I was able to figure it out.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I will say and it's not said enough, I feel genuinely bad for players like Stowers and Norby.

Both were drafted fairly high, and have done nothing in the minors but hit. In any other organization they would have made the major league club out of spring training, but here they spend 80% of their season toiling away at a level they've long since graduated to get a call up to site on the bench primarily only to be sent back down a few weeks later.

It has to be a true test of their psyche.

Edited by casadeozo
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, casadeozo said:

I will say and it's not said enough, I feel genuinely bad for players like Stowers and Norby.

Both were drafted fairly high, and have done nothing in the minors but hit. In any other organization they would have made the major league club out of spring training, but here they spend 80% of their season toiling away at a level they've long since graduated to get a call up to site on the bench primarily only to be sent back down a few weeks later.

It has to be a true test of their psyche.

Pros and cons.   They could be on a crap team with crap development, get their MLB opportunity, and the fizzle out due to poor development.  It could be a lot worse.  I imagine they are pretty thankful for their opportunity to train with one of the best organizations in the league and will be better off for it in the long run. 

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Pros and cons.   They could be on a crap team with crap development, get their MLB opportunity, and the fizzle out due to poor development.  It could be a lot worse.  I imagine they are pretty thankful for their opportunity to train with one of the best organizations in the league and will be better off for it in the long run. 

I was getting ready to reply with a similar comment.  Makes you wonder how all of our draft picks would be doing if they were being developed in our minor leagues 10-20 years ago. 

I think they envy Joey Ortiz. He was deemed not good enough for the Baltimore Orioles. He got  traded to a team where he  earned a chance to play at the big league level. Making over $700k this year. Probably will get a chance to play in the big league for a number of more years. I don't think Stowers and Norby are happier at Norfolk. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Lost in the insane & wild comeback is Stowers PH lead off single in the bottom of the 9th. Was refreshing to see someone simply playing to the scoreboard and looking to hit a single vs attempting a 450ft home run down 2.

Kyle "Rally Starter" Stowers!

15 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Lost in the insane & wild comeback is Stowers PH lead off single in the bottom of the 9th. Was refreshing to see someone simply playing to the scoreboard and looking to hit a single vs attempting a 450ft home run down 2.

I do think the ab was a good one.  He roped one hard down the line earlier in the at bat.  It was just foul.  Nevertheless less, Kyle got a rally started that seemed pretty unlikely given how the last week or so has gone.  Happy for him.  And of course, happy for the Orioles.

14 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Why is it everyone time a player is struggling everyone just assumes they are trying to hit homers.  Most major leaguers never try to hit a home run every at bat no matter if they are hitting well or struggling.  It is more they are just off on timing and in between pitches.  I guarantee you Adley isn’t going up there thinking ok I been struggling I should try and hit a homer, he is thinking make solid contact and stay back unfortunately he is out in front of off speed stuff and behind on fastball which showed in a few swings where he was off balance.  He just isn’t seeing the ball well and able to identify the pitch in enough time.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Why is it everyone time a player is struggling everyone just assumes they are trying to hit homers.  Most major leaguers never try to hit a home run every at bat no matter if they are hitting well or struggling.  It is more they are just off on timing and in between pitches.  I guarantee you Adley isn’t going up there thinking ok I been struggling I should try and hit a homer, he is thinking make solid contact and stay back unfortunately he is out in front of off speed stuff and behind on fastball which showed in a few swings where he was off balance.  He just isn’t seeing the ball well and able to identify the pitch in enough time.  

Does this work better? It was nice to see Stowers get a single while the O’s have struggled mightily to get anything done at the plate recently.

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

It's crunch time, lets see if Stowers can hit. 

The only way to see if he can hit, is to play him everyday. 

Lets see how he hits all pitching. 

Could say the same about Kjerstad. He would be my preference as soon as he is ready. Not his fault he got hit in the head.

• Upvote 2