Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Westy has to hit and play well to stay ahead of Holliday.   The 2nd Base battle is on.  Urias is a better defensive 3B than Westy at this point. Holliday can replace Kemp of the roster at any point.  But how the playing time is doled out out is a question.   We will see how Elias handles  it.

Umm… Westburg is not the one keeping Holliday. And is not “ahead” of Holliday in any way except for age/service time progression.

When Holliday is promoted it will be to take over 2B. He will not be sharing playing time so that Urias (a decent not good player can start).

10 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Extend him.  Westy not only provides value from a WAR perspective, but positional flexibility.

Said in the offseason that Westburg is one of the good extendable options at a good price!

I love Westburg, and it's a travesty that he was screwed over each of the last two seasons by Elias and Hyde and not given a chance at everyday playing time when he's been our best 2B option both seasons (starting in the summer of 2022).

I'm glad that he's (hopefully) finally going to get a chance to play everyday to show what he can do. He never got consistent playing time last season due to Elias and Hyde's nonsensical commitment to platooning with bad players and not cutting bait with the sunk cost of Adam Frazier's awful contract. Almost all good hitters need regular playing time to get into a rhythm and reach their hot streaks, especially rookies.

Gunnar and Adley both struggled immensely for one or two months straight early in their careers  and were given the opportunity to learn and adjust by playing every day. Westburg and Colton Cowser haven't been afforded that same opportunity, but I hope they both get their chances - right now for Westburg, soon for Cowser.

The fact Westburg has very good opposite field power makes him particularly valuable to this team in Oriole Park. Can't wait for Holliday and Mayo to get promoted so we can stop giving at bats to guys like Mateo, Kemp, O'Hearn, and even Urias. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I love Westburg, and it's a travesty that he was screwed over each of the last two seasons by Elias and Hyde and not given a chance at everyday playing time when he's been our best 2B option both seasons (starting in the summer of 2022).

I'm glad that he's (hopefully) finally going to get a chance to play everyday to show what he can do. He never got consistent playing time last season due to Elias and Hyde's nonsensical commitment to platooning with bad players and not cutting bait with the sunk cost of Adam Frazier's awful contract. Almost all good hitters need regular playing time to get into a rhythm and reach their hot streaks, especially rookies.

Gunnar and Adley both struggled immensely for one or two months straight early in their careers  and were given the opportunity to learn and adjust by playing every day. Westburg and Colton Cowser haven't been afforded that same opportunity, but I hope they both get their chances - right now for Westburg, soon for Cowser.

The fact Westburg has very good opposite field power makes him particularly valuable to this team in Oriole Park. Can't wait for Holliday and Mayo to get promoted so we can stop giving at bats to guys like Mateo, Kemp, O'Hearn, and even Urias. 

Wait we still hate O’Hearn?

1 hour ago, Since1984 said:

Said in the offseason that Westburg is one of the good extendable options at a good price!

Really itching to get his age 31-35 seasons locked in? I really doubt there is much value there. He's not a free agent until 2030. 

Edited by TheWall

He came up big when it mattered and hit it in the perfect spot. 12/30 ballparks that's a HR so I'm not going to pretend a 369-foot flyball was flashing real power but he won the game, so kudos to him!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Since1984 said:

Why would you extend him?  You already have him into his 30s.

I love Westburg a lot and think he will be a solid contributor for us but he isn’t someone you even consider for an extension.

This is where fans greatly overrate extensions. I guarantee you that some of the guys the Braves signed will look like poor decisions.

5 hours ago, TheWall said:

Really itching to get his age 31-35 seasons locked in? I really doubt there is much value there. He's not a free agent until 2030. 

Would you extend Bregman this offseason? I’ve said this before, I believe  Westburg will have seasons close to this playing level.

Edited by Since1984

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you extend him?  You already have him into his 30s.

I love Westburg a lot and think he will be a solid contributor for us but he isn’t someone you even consider for an extension.

This is where fans greatly overrate extensions. I guarantee you that some of the guys the Braves signed will look like poor decisions.

Do not have to do it now and I understand the point about age. Would you extend Bregman this offseason?