Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

He has a JJ Hardy vibe.  Not exactly the same player, but same kind of guy.  

Yeah, I can see it. Hardy has a much better glove at a much more premium position, and I imagine Westburg will walk more than Hardy did, but I'd expect their offensive lines to look pretty similar other than that.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Westburg settling in at 3B the arm strength is one thing to watch a little bit.

Savant 2023 listed him at 80.2, which was right on MLB average for 2B, but about 6 mph short for 3B.

So far I don’t recall a play down the 3B line where Westburg had to field deep, plant and unleash throw to 1B.

Where he does seem more than solid so far is charging balls and the soft grounder to his left where field in front of SS.  He is quick to the ball and has quick release.

13 minutes ago, Say O! said:

So far I don’t recall a play down the 3B line where Westburg had to field deep, plant and unleash throw to 1B.

Where he does seem more than solid so far is charging balls and the soft grounder to his left where field in front of SS.  He is quick to the ball and has quick release.

Watch the first play.  In AAA last year.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure most of you saw Westburg's sick play at 3B.  I think Westburg is laying claim to 3B.  Mayo might eventually play an adequate 3B but Westburg looks like he plays a plus 3B and maybe even a Gold Glove 3B.  And I'm sure he's planning on getting better.  It's hard not to cheer for a guy like Westburg, a real lunch pail guy. 

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm sure most of you saw Westburg's sick play at 3B.  I think Westburg is laying claim to 3B.  Mayo might eventually play an adequate 3B but Westburg looks like he plays a plus 3B and maybe even a Gold Glove 3B.  And I'm sure he's planning on getting better.  It's hard not to cheer for a guy like Westburg, a real lunch pail guy. 

I have no doubt Westburg can play 3B well, I do question his arm over there, though.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

I have no doubt Westburg can play 3B well, I do question his arm over there, though.

I mean, he’s no Machado, but he gets the job done.  We’ll probably see a few deep backhand throws he won’t make, but he should be solid otherwise.  He gets rid of the ball very smoothly and doesn’t require a lot of time to load up.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean, he’s no Machado, but he gets the job done.  We’ll probably see a few deep backhand throws he won’t make, but he should be solid otherwise.  He gets rid of the ball very smoothly and doesn’t require a lot of time to load up.  

Yeah, going to his left he'll be fine, he'll be hard-pressed coming in on rollers and around the bag, with a fairly speedy runner I think. He'll be fine.

Edited by Malike

32 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah, going to his left he'll be fine, he'll be hard-pressed coming in on rollers and around the bag, with a fairly speedy runner I think. He'll be fine.

As some people have noted on the Holliday thread, a quick release can help make up for less than a rocket arm and he's quick and has good hands.  Seems to work well with Gunnar too.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Outside of Cowser, he’s the biggest surprise of the season so far for me. 

What were your expectations where for him?

Edited by IPlayGM
Grammar

The best part about Westburg is his grit. You can tell in everything he does it’s 100 percent physically and mentally. His defense is the only surprising thing to me. Most reports seem to say average defender.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:49 AM, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, I can see it. Hardy has a much better glove at a much more premium position, and I imagine Westburg will walk more than Hardy did, but I'd expect their offensive lines to look pretty similar other than that.

I think Westburg is going to surprise some people with his defense.  His arm will never be great, but he is a surprisingly quick guy.  I think he's going to be a plus at 3B.

• Upvote 1