Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I mean, he’s no Machado, but he gets the job done.  We’ll probably see a few deep backhand throws he won’t make, but he should be solid otherwise.  He gets rid of the ball very smoothly and doesn’t require a lot of time to load up.  

By saying he is no Machado do you mean after he catches the ball he does not read the label on the ball and gun the throw to first?

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Outside of Cowser, he’s the biggest surprise of the season so far for me. 

Impressive. This young team is really coming together. Everyone should keep Westburg, Cowser, Gunnar, Adley, in mind when worrying about Holliday. They had long stretches of “struggling”. 

The exit velos at the MLB level are impressive. 

I said it a few years ago but it would be surprising to me if Westburg isn’t a successful everyday player.

He’s just a guy that looks like he is going to be good. I know there’s nothing scientific about that but he just has that feel to him.  I have thought for a few years that he could handle third despite the lack of high end arm strength. 

He doesn’t do anything great but he seems to do everything average or better. That’s not easy to do. Just doesn’t really have any holes in his game. Not that he can’t improve but it’s hard to pick him apart.

He’s a big reason why I just don’t see Mayo staying at third because you aren’t taking Westburg out of the lineup to make him a part time guy.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Fuzzball22 said:

By saying he is no Machado do you mean after he catches the ball he does not read the label on the ball and gun the throw to first?

I think he means Westy isn’t a generational fielder at 3B, but is holding his own. I’ll never understand the Manny slander by some of this fan base. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I said it a few years ago but it would be surprising to me if Westburg isn’t a successful everyday player.

He’s just a guy that looks like he is going to be good. I know there’s nothing scientific about that but he just has that feel to him.  I have thought for a few years that he could handle third despite the lack of high end arm strength. 

He doesn’t do anything great but he seems to do everything average or better. That’s not easy to do. Just doesn’t really have any holes in his game. Not that he can’t improve but it’s hard to pick him apart.

He’s a big reason why I just don’t see Mayo staying at third because you aren’t taking Westburg out of the lineup to make him a part time guy.

Yeah that’s how I’ve felt about him since I first saw him. He’s reminded me of Michael Young. I always thought that was a lofty comp, but honestly it may be the 50% scenario for Westburg. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think it’s wise to ever evaluate a player on a really hot stretch or a really cold stretch. Having said that, with the growth that I am seeing in Westburg in year 2 I don’t see anyway Mayo unseats him at 3B which is okay. 

I think it may be wise to give Mayo a 1B glove or try him out in RF. 

If nothing else with the ascension of our young players this year, I think it is changing how our other prospects are viewed around the game. Because after the guys lack of impact last season (outside of Gunnar) despite their AAA, it was fair to question who things were translating. Looks like that is no longer the case.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think it’s wise to ever evaluate a player on a really hot stretch or a really cold stretch. Having said that, with the growth that I am seeing in Westburg in year 2 I don’t see anyway Mayo unseats him at 3B which is okay. 

I think it may be wise to give Mayo a 1B glove or try him out in RF. 

If nothing else with the ascension of our young players this year, I think it is changing how our other prospects are viewed around the game. Because after the guys lack of impact last season (outside of Gunnar) despite their AAA, it was fair to question who things were translating. Looks like that is no longer the case.

It really has nothing to do with taking third away. Westburg may not end up there anyway. It’s really going to depend on Holliday and Henderson.

The point is that Westburg is going to end up at second or third. He’s not going to end up in a UTI role. So unless one of the 3 IFers are going to end up in the OF, Mayo just doesn’t have a spot at third on this team..which is perfectly fine. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It really has nothing to do with taking third away. Westburg may not end up there anyway. It’s really going to depend on Holliday and Henderson.

The point is that Westburg is going to end up at second or third. He’s not going to end up in a UTI role. So unless one of the 3 IFers are going to end up in the OF, Mayo just doesn’t have a spot at third on this team..which is perfectly fine. 

He’s going to play 3rd. Henderson is playing SS and Holliday 2B. None of them are playing the outfield. As that is not their natural position and they all are good infielders.

But I agree that Mayo most likely will end up elsewhere OR traded. 

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He’s going to play 3rd. Henderson is playing SS and Holliday 2B. None of them are playing the outfield. As that is not their natural position and they all are good infielders.

But I agree that Mayo most likely will end up elsewhere OR traded. 

I do not want Mayo traded with his potential as a hitter. He needs to settle in as a corner outfielder or 1B/DH. If the Orioles were to trade Mayo they better be getting an elite pitcher in return. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

+1.