Tyler Wells 2024

Jagwar

44 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Four shutout innings after this post. Finished strong striking out the side (including Trout looking). Try to reverse jinx our struggling pitchers a little earlier next time!

And only one hit and no walks over those last four innings.

Pretty decent game for Wells.  He hit hit around a little in the first couple of innings, but the single before the homer was just a soft fly ball that fell in, and the two runs in the 2nd are attributed to McCann’s two throws, one of which pulled Mountcastle off the bag and the second of which hit the runner at 3B and allowed him to score.  All in all, I’d rank it as a solid first outing of the year.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty decent game for Wells.  He hit hit around a little in the first couple of innings, but the single before the homer was just a soft fly ball that fell in

Was that the one that fell in front of Santander?  Better speed and a good jump may have had a diving chance on that.  Especially since Cedric was there for the backup.  Not to fuel the Cowser calls, but a dreamer wonders...

56 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Was that the one that fell in front of Santander?  Better speed and a good jump may have had a diving chance on that.  Especially since Cedric was there for the backup.  Not to fuel the Cowser calls, but a dreamer wonders...

I don’t think there’s anything a better outfielder could have done.  

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Four shutout innings after this post. Finished strong striking out the side (including Trout looking). Try to reverse jinx our struggling pitchers a little earlier next time!

He definitely turned it around. 

7 K, 0 BB, long stretches of no baserunners but a rally or two and a HR allowed. Pretty classic Wells right there. 

He made big strikeout gains from '22 to '23 and if he can hold on to them like he did today, I think he'll be pretty successful. 

• Upvote 1

Final stat line is about what's par the course for Wells, with exception to a couple too many runs. I saw the Home Run gave up and was not surprised at all.  He's a fly ball pitcher and seems to let a number of those get away over the fence.

The 4th run I put on McCann being too aggressive with 2 outs. At that point, McCann should have just let Wells focus on getting the batter out and ended the inning leaving the runners stranded with 3 runs in the game.

His stuff looked good. For me a very promising first start. He was very good last season with worse stuff for much of the first half before getting injured / fatiguing. We forget that. Through about three months of the season there was an argument Wells was our ace more than Bradish. So excited to see how he does if he can keep this stuff throughout the season. 

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

His stuff looked good. For me a very promising first start. He was very good last season with worse stuff for much of the first half before getting injured / fatiguing. We forget that. Through about three months of the season there was an argument Wells was our ace more than Bradish. So excited to see how he does if he can keep this stuff throughout the season. 

I don’t think we forget anything. We all know Wells has shown, multiple times, that he can be a good pitcher for 80-100 innings.

The problem is his durability and the way he wears down after that. Now, will he be able to overcome that?  Maybe but it’s a big gamble in a year when you are trying to win a WS, especially when you have other question marks beyond your top 2 starters. (We don’t have much of a choice though)

Edited by Sports Guy

Great start, honestly. No issues with what I saw. Got a jumped a little, McCann blew it, and the offense no-showed on him. It happens. Otherwise he looked how I hoped he would, and 7 Ks is a good amount for Wells.