Craig Kimbrel 2024

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh sweet, so they are just going to go short handed in the pen.

That sounds like a good idea.

Terrible move. They have indulged the veteran because he's a HoFer and will pay the price. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kimbrel has pitched in 48% of our games so far.  How can this team make it 10 days without him? Seriously.  I know it's pile on Kimbrel day, but he is one of our best three relievers, and this is the biggest series of the season thus far.   

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He wasn't likely to pitch today anyway.  Why not see if he's OK to pitch in a day or two?  Not much harm there, can always retroactively IL him.  I mean (and this is directed at the board, not you necessarily) - he's pitching too much and Hyde is burning him out, or we can afford to give him a day off w/o putting him on the IL?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kimbrel has pitched in 48% of our games so far.  How can this team make it 10 days without him? Seriously.  I know it's pile on Kimbrel day, but he is one of our best three relievers, and this is the biggest series of the season thus far.   

As of now he may not even pitch for the first 2-3 games of the series. So at least for this series, it makes no sense.

This is also Elias being to SCEEEEARD to lose Baumann or Ramirez on waivers because you know they are so valuable.

18 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

And they optioned Tate to make room for Cionel.

Tate had just pitched back to back. He wasn't going to be available for at least two days so makes perfect sense to get a fresh arm in. Hopefully they are able to get some innings out of Ramirez today and then DFA him for another arm.  

29 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

And they optioned Tate to make room for Cionel.

I don't like this move at all. Orioles need a full bullpen for this series. It's going to be very interesting to see what pitcher gets the call if the ninth inning is a save situation.

Hoping Kimbrel isn't bs-ing the coaches and he really will be fine in a day or two.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

13 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

As of now he may not even pitch for the first 2-3 games of the series. So at least for this series, it makes no sense.

This is also Elias being to SCEEEEARD to lose Baumann or Ramirez on waivers because you know they are so valuable.

Ramirez is a pitcher you don't want pitching in a game you want to win, so the O's are really 2 pitchers short.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't like this move at all. Orioles need a full bullpen for this series. It's going to be very interesting to see what pitcher gets the call if the ninth inning is a save situation.

What don't you like? Tate wouldn't be available until game 3 at the earliest, so optioning him for a fresh arm increases the number we have available. 

21 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

He wasn't likely to pitch today anyway.  Why not see if he's OK to pitch in a day or two?  Not much harm there, can always retroactively IL him.  I mean (and this is directed at the board, not you necessarily) - he's pitching too much and Hyde is burning him out, or we can afford to give him a day off w/o putting him on the IL?

When weighing the risk and reward of the situation...  IMO, our need to have a full staff of arms to eat innings in the bullpen to better spread the workload outweighs waiting for 2 or 3 days and hoping that Kimbrel will bounce right back to form and isn't nursing an injury. 

Were it me deciding, he'd spending the next week and a half on the IL, so that I'm not unnecessarily overtaxing the rest of the guys in the pen.  But that's just me.  Clearly I'm not the one being paid the big bucks to make the call. 

Edited by Morgan423

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Feels like a matter of time before that changes to "Craig Kimbrel will go on the IL retroactive to May 29."

Retroactive to the IL, on a future date?

Maybe Kimbrel's real problem is that he wasn't properly handling the plutonium that he's putting in his flux capacitor.  😉

• Upvote 1