John Means 2024

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Is there reason for hope that the initial IL is only 15 days and not more or is that just playing numbers?  Is there a benefit to putting him on the 15 day if they know its a 30 or 60 day stint?

Wells went on the 15 day IL.   Does that give you hope?   I didn’t think so.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Wells went on the 15 day IL.   Does that give you hope?   I didn’t think so.

Well, Wells is going to be throwing tomorrow and it's a little more than 30 days, so there is some hope.  My only curiosity with the 15 day IL is sometimes you can glean something from a short stint that is backdated or severity based on a long initial stint. @Can_of_corn mentioned that with the 60 day stint they get a man on the 40.  Apparently, they are willing to wait a bit to make a decision which gives some hope, so I'll join in the hope they just need rest.

8 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Well, Wells is going to be throwing tomorrow and it's a little more than 30 days, so there is some hope.  My only curiosity with the 15 day IL is sometimes you can glean something from a short stint that is backdated or severity based on a long initial stint. @Can_of_corn mentioned that with the 60 day stint they get a man on the 40.  Apparently, they are willing to wait a bit to make a decision which gives some hope, so I'll join in the hope they just need rest.

I didn’t know that about Wells.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Is there reason for hope that the initial IL is only 15 days and not more or is that just playing numbers?  Is there a benefit to putting him on the 15 day if they know its a 30 or 60 day stint?

I don’t think they know anything definitive yet.  Seems like half the people here believe he’s ruptured his UCL again.  But maybe this is a Grayson-level injury that just requires him to miss a couple of turns.  I can’t say I’m optimistic about that, but we’ll see what the doctors say.  

@wildcard, you can forget about that extension. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

Again John Means is the product of being a decent pitcher on a horrendous 100+ loss team. People think he’s better than he is because of this. Similar to Cedric and Hays. These guys are replacement. With that being said, hope John the best but he’s probably done as an Oriole.

What are you talking about? John Means has always had good results when he's on the mound.  He's a good pitcher. And people thought Mullins was better than he was not because the team was bad, but because he had a standout, elite season where he clubbed 30 home runs and got on base at a .360 clip, production he has not come close to replicating since.

Edited by blid

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they know anything definitive yet.  Seems like half the people here believe he’s ruptured his UCL again.  But maybe this is a Grayson-level injury that just requires him to miss a couple of turns.  I can’t say I’m optimistic about that, but we’ll see what the doctors say.  

@wildcard, you can forget about that extension. 

Au contraire mon frère.      There is two thirds of a season left.   It's too early to throw in the towel.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Au contraire mon frère.      There is two thirds of a season left.   It's too early to throw in the towel.  

What percent of his time in the majors would a pitcher have to spend on the IL before you'd think he's too risky a candidate to extend?

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What percent of his time in the majors would a pitcher have to spend on the IL before you'd think he's too risky a candidate to extend?

In John's case he pitches effectively when he pitches.    So the extension might end up to be a year with option year(s) added.    

The O's extended Bautista through 2025 knowing that he would not pitch in 2024.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In John's case he pitches effectively when he pitches.    So the extension might end up to be a year with option year(s) added.    

You are still talking about an extension?  WTF man?  He can’t stay healthy. You don’t extend him. 

I like Means a lot..probably more than most but you can’t commit a rotation spot and money to a guy with all the injury issues he has. It’s not like you are going to get him for a few million dollars.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You didn't answer the question. It's quite a different thing to sign a guy you have under club control anyway to a two-year contract knowing he's going to miss one than to hand out free-agent rates to a guy who has never started 30 games in a season, has missed most of the past two years with Tommy John AND just went on the IL again with elbow soreness, AND has had other injuries.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I literally don’t care what he does the rest of the season.  I wouldn’t sign him for more than one season, only after this season is over, and even that would need to be a low base, incentive laden deal.  He’s a ticking time bomb. 

I can see the O's extending Means for a 3M base and incentive for starts and/or innings pitched.    An there could be option year(s).

Means is pitching at a 2.60ish ERA level when he pitches.   That is hard to find.    When the O's have a guy like Irvin on the roster that can start or relieve it makes it easier to keep Means.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I can see the O's extending Means for a 3M base and incentive for starts and/or innings pitched.    An there could be option year(s).

Means is pitching at a 2.60ish ERA level when he pitches.   That is hard to find.    When the O's have a guy like Irvin on the roster that can start or relieve it makes it easier to keep Means.

If Means comes back this year and ends up throwing 100+ innings and performs well, why would he sign that contract?  And please spare me the concept of “he likes it here”

He may not have many more chances at signing a contract, so he’s going to maximize that if he can.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I literally don’t care what he does the rest of the season.  I wouldn’t sign him for more than one season, only after this season is over, and even that would need to be a low base, incentive laden deal.  He’s a ticking time bomb. 

You are projecting the rest of the season before it happens.   Means may not pitch again this year or he could make up to 18 more starts plus the playoffs.     IMO its too early to say the O's would not extend him during the season.