Colton Cowser 2024

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Ok I mean I agree with all that. I think you're trying to create a debate with me when we basically agree but have used slightly different ways to get there. 

I think people tend to give Adley every single benefit of the doubt while complaining about the same things with other players.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think people tend to give Adley every single benefit of the doubt while complaining about the same things with other players.

Yeah probably. He's a more accomplished hitter than most and that's a big reason why. But his throwing is a pretty big disappointment compared to how he was touted early on. I have no qualms with the other parts of his defensive game, but it's clear now that he's got a noodle back there. 

Like I said, Cowser should improve because the arm strength is there. Adley, I don't see much avenue for big improvement arm-wise.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, it’s not just about arm strength with Adley.  His accuracy is awful.

It’s not about arm strength at all.  Adley’s arm strength is ranked 13th of 62 catchers.  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/catcher-throwing?game_type=Regular&n=q&season_end=2024&season_start=2024&split=no&team=&type=Cat&with_team_only=1&sortColumn=arm_strength&sortDirection=desc

It’s totally about accuracy.  

But back to Cowser, some of his throws have been just laughably off line, especially to home plate.  He really does need to work on that.  It seems like something easily correctable with practice.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not about arm strength at all.  Adley’s arm strength is ranked 13th of 62 catchers.  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/catcher-throwing?game_type=Regular&n=q&season_end=2024&season_start=2024&split=no&team=&type=Cat&with_team_only=1&sortColumn=arm_strength&sortDirection=desc

But back to Cowser, some of his throws have been just laughably off line, especially to home plate.  He really does need to work on that.  It seems like something easily correctable with practice.

I would argue 13th is kind of disappointing for a 1:1 catcher. Just that part specifically. He's not disappointing as a 1:1 in any other way IMO.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He definitely has to work on it. Not denying that. Just saying that if you are going to attack his accuracy, do the same to Adley.

Cowser looks to me like he has lost a lot of weight since Spring training and early in the season.   He looks very skinny to me.

Not sure if he has been sick or this is being done on purpose.  But normally when an athlete loses weight it is not a good thing.

28 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Cowser looks to me like he has lost a lot of weight since Spring training and early in the season.   He looks very skinny to me.

Not sure if he has been sick or this is being done on purpose.  But normally when an athlete loses weight it is not a good thing.

He is naturally wirey. He also got rid of the beard which makes him look thinner. 

Just now, baltfan said:

He is naturally wirey. He also got rid of the beard which makes him look thinner. 

True on the beard haha.  I used to have a long beard and my wife tells me the same. 

But judging from his arms and upper body?  He looks like he has lost a good 10-15 pounds to me. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Cowser now down to .236/.776. Trend line isnt good. Another "developing situation"?

His xSLG is 70 points higher than it actually is, his OBP is still .330, and Fangraphs has him as the 2nd most valuable OF’er defensively in the MLB. 

Unlike Mullins, his expected stats are still strong and show that he’s just been hitting into bad luck. 

On 5/31/2024 at 10:25 AM, Sports Guy said:

Everything about Adley's throwing has taken a hit this year.  His pop time used to be top tier and he's degraded to around league average.  That's on top of his propensity to throw the ball to Narnia.

Some of the throwing issues I'd excuse because no one is throwing runners out at a good clip anymore (the base size and pickoff rules really made meaningful changes there) but he's not really a plus guy with the run game anymore.  He's still elite at blocking the plate and framing so that's good.

Wieters had a pretty steep drop-off through his mid-20s defensively as well.  It's hard to be Ivan Rodriguez and be an elite thrower from the backstop for like 15 years straight. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Cowser now down to .236/.776. Trend line isnt good. Another "developing situation"?

He's hitting a lot of loud outs and he's taking some borderline pitches for called strike 3 that he probably should be hacking at.  He doesn't really seem to be getting a ton of help from the umps with his plate discipline though.

3 hours ago, Hallas said:

He's hitting a lot of loud outs and he's taking some borderline pitches for called strike 3 that he probably should be hacking at.  He doesn't really seem to be getting a ton of help from the umps with his plate discipline though.

Wasn't a huge fan of his swing for that last out today but coming in to pinch hit with 2 outs isn't easy.