Colton Cowser 2024

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Cowser has certainly improved his outfield defense everywhere and he's clearly gotten used to the second deck of most major league stadiums. His burst is showing that he's getting comfortable reading balls off the bat. His routes have never been absolutely great but his footspeed has made up for it.

image.thumb.png.2d6c074bd503e06675685370b871030f.png

I think @Sports Guy has shown how much bad luck he's run into the last month or so, but at the end of the day, look at his percentiles. This is an above average player that is going to get hot again.

image.thumb.png.748d9865d0f6aebf82b15c03a8beedc1.png

Great post with fantastic info.  This just confirms what we've been seeing.  He's looked the part in the field and has been hitting the ball hard consistently.  I have not understood all the Cowser negativity over the last month.  Most of the folks on here are watching almost every game and it's been pretty apparent that he's hitting the ball hard directly at the defenders.  He's been incredibly unlucky and that will change over time.  He's looking comfortable and confident at the plate.  I think we are just seeing the beginning and expect him to have a monster second half. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

His defense has improved considerably, though I will add his throwing is consistently dreadful.  How this happens at the big-league level escapes me.  If he can get that under control, he could go from solid to very good.

Besides his throwing, his ability to handle CF, which has been discussed a possibility since drafting him, is quite promising, and as @emmett16  said above, creates an opening on the corners. This would alleviate the need to keep Mullins around for his defense.  Good points all around.

I think he may be over throwing because the arm strength is clearly there, but when he does ramp it up, he's obviously very inaccurate. I never noticed the plus-plus arm strength in the minors but I did think he had a good arm. I wonder if he's throwing "to the gun" vs working on making good quality throws.

Hopefully this is something they are working on. Interestingly though, he's still plus 1 on fielder runs for preventing runners from advancing. 

image.thumb.png.1bba5cafab2198e48b881e26b22f0083.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Great post with fantastic info.  This just confirms what we've been seeing.  He's looked the part in the field and has been hitting the ball hard consistently.  I have not understood all the Cowser negativity over the last month.  Most of the folks on here are watching almost every game and it's been pretty apparent that he's hitting the ball hard directly at the defenders.  He's been incredibly unlucky and that will change over time.  He's looking comfortable and confident at the plate.  I think we are just seeing the beginning and expect him to have a monster second half. 

Thanks, and obviously, I agree. Everything in Cowser's metrics suggests he's going to breakout at some point once again. He's going to have a tough series like he just had, but so does every hitter. If it were me running out lineups, he's my everyday CF and moving to LF or RF when Mullins gets his 2-3 starts a week.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hopefully the stats that count turn around soon.

Yep.  What jumps out are the power numbers. It’s not just singles he is missing out on.  It’s extra base hits.  That’s big for him and the offense as a whole.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think he may be over throwing because the arm strength is clearly there, but when he does ramp it up, he's obviously very inaccurate. I never noticed the plus-plus arm strength in the minors but I did think he had a good arm. I wonder if he's throwing "to the gun" vs working on making good quality throws.

Hopefully this is something they are working on. Interestingly though, he's still plus 1 on fielder runs for preventing runners from advancing. 

image.thumb.png.1bba5cafab2198e48b881e26b22f0083.png

Really, it’s a few memorable episodes that make us question his accuracy.  I’m sure most of his throws have been accurate, but he’s had 3-4 that were nowhere near the intended target that we all remember.  

Very excited about Cowser.  Kid is a player and I think the summer is going to be big for him.  My biggest take away on the season to date is how good the four young stars on this team are and that they play right up the middle: C, SS, CF and, if you wanted, 2B.  Once Holliday is here, and Westburg is at 3B, this team will only have to fill the corner OF, 1B, DH and bench spots.  There are copious options for that now and they will soon include Mayo, Kjerstad and Basallo.  And, yes, Mayo may stick at 3B and Basallo can catch. 

I know there is discussion of how well, or not, Elias has done drafting after the 1st round, and that he won't have high picks going forward, but this offense is set for so long.  Just keep the pitching strong and look out.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cowser’s bat will come around. It’s a bonus that he’s decent enough to play CF. He must’ve worked really hard in the offseason. That’s probably why we saw Hilliard get the quick hook in ST. The FO saw. 

I think Cowser’s defensive play last season in the big leagues was an anomaly.   He’s always had a solid defensive rep in the minors.   For whatever reason (third deck or whatever) he was very tentative last year, but he’s gotten past it.  

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He looks smooth in the outfield for sure.  I don't know if he's the Mullins replacement in CF, but if he is I don't think that's a bad thing.

Well don’t forget, despite never playing there, the Os are going to move Holliday or Westburg to CF, so that’s the Mullins replacement!  😃

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well don’t forget, despite never playing there, the Os are going to move Holliday or Westburg to CF, so that’s the Mullins replacement!  😃

Says the president of the Mayo is a future MLB RF club. 😉

• Haha 1