Brandon Hyde 2024

Hyde rarely has baserunning aggressiveness. He rarely plays small ball.  A manager or football coach are responsible to shake a team out of a funk. A manager needs to do more than just fill out a lineup card. Earl Weaver knew how to manage. Some posters don't like to 2nd guess Hyde. I know injuries played a part, but there are other ways to create a win, that he is bad at.

The orioles have only 95 stolen bases this season, which ranks 15th in MLB. Mullins, with 30, is only ranked 17th in MLB. Yet the Os have several elite runners, and should have been running all over the place. I don’t know whether the decision to run is individual or called from the dugout, but not running is a head scratcher. 

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

The orioles have only 95 stolen bases this season, which ranks 15th in MLB. Mullins, with 30, is only ranked 17th in MLB. Yet the Os have several elite runners, and should have been running all over the place. I don’t know whether the decision to run is individual or called from the dugout, but not running is a head scratcher. 

We have several guys with excellent sprint speed (like Cowser) who don’t seem to be particularly gifted base stealers. Which is fine. I’m also pretty sure Gunnar could steal more but he doesn’t seem all that interested (or confident) or else I’m sure he would have made a run at 30/30 and beyond.

I would rather guys pick their spots than start getting thrown out more. Caught stealing is the worst because you not only give up an out, you lose a base runner in the process.

I figure this off day he and the team are conferencing with Burnes and Eflin about switching.

It seems like Burnes leapfrogging Eflin to lineup 1-2 makes sense.

I did note over the weekend when Hyde gave a quote about not juggling rotation yet, it mentioned through Kremer tomorrow.

8 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Our two best base stealers are Mullins and Mateo.  Mullins has 30 SB despite having only 3/4 of the at bats he had in 2021-22.  Mateo (13) has been hurt, and even before that, was playing less than in prior seasons. Gunnar (21) has more than doubled his SB output.   Who else would you like to see stealing bases?   I think Westburg and Cowser could run a bit more than they have, but both have had only a 67% success rate when they’ve tried, which isn’t good.  Holliday could run more if he was actually on base once in a while.  

I’m a big supporter of Brandon Hyde, but the last game against Detroit I think he made a mistake. Second and third, nobody out….I would have had mullins bunt. He’s a good bunter, and with holiday at third I think that’s walk off. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Our two best base stealers are Mullins and Mateo.  Mullins has 30 SB despite having only 3/4 of the at bats he had in 2021-22.  Mateo (13) has been hurt, and even before that, was playing less than in prior seasons. Gunnar (21) has more than doubled his SB output.   Who else would you like to see stealing bases?   I think Westburg and Cowser could run a bit more than they have, but both have had only a 67% success rate when they’ve tried, which isn’t good.  Holliday could run more if he was actually on base once in a while.  

Westburg is the guy I'd want to run a bit more, he seems a bit more like a heady type player so I could see his instincts growing there, and he had decent numbers in the minors. He's had an interesting year in the SB department, stole 4/5 in the month of April, then 1/3 in May and 1/1 in June, but hasn't had a straight steal since June 3rd. Wonder if moving up in the lineup killed his run game?

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I’m a big supporter of Brandon Hyde, but the last game against Detroit I think he made a mistake. Second and third, nobody out….I would have had mullins bunt. He’s a good bunter, and with holiday at third I think that’s walk off. 

DET was playing infield in.  I’d have to imagine the probability of successful squeeze bunt is quite low given that positioning.  I’d rather Holliday just run on contact (which he did not do for some reason).

Edited by Say O!

48 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Westburg is the guy I'd want to run a bit more, he seems a bit more like a heady type player so I could see his instincts growing there, and he had decent numbers in the minors. He's had an interesting year in the SB department, stole 4/5 in the month of April, then 1/3 in May and 1/1 in June, but hasn't had a straight steal since June 3rd. Wonder if moving up in the lineup killed his run game?

Sometimes guys tweak a muscle etc. Lots of possibilities.