Keegan Akin 2024

Frobby

3 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I can't see the O's sending one of their most dependable relievers to Norfolk because he has options.  I would take Akin over Perez right now.  

It’s a tricky decision.  Akin deserves to stay up based on his performance to date, but he may end up getting the short end of the stick because the O’s don’t want to DFA some non-optionable pitcher.   

• 4 weeks later...

This is about as pointed a criticism toward one player I’ve ever seen from Hyde.  I know someone recently said he throws his players under the bus but I disagree with that.  I think he’s the opposite but this one did catch my eye.   He’s right too.

“That was a struggle, for sure," Hyde said. "That's unfortunate. That's twice now he's missed middle-middle with lefties in big spots and that can't happen at the major league level."

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

This is about as pointed a criticism toward one player I’ve ever seen from Hyde.  I know someone recently said he throws his players under the bus but I disagree with that.  I think he’s the opposite but this one did catch my eye.   He’s right too.

“That was a struggle, for sure," Hyde said. "That's unfortunate. That's twice now he's missed middle-middle with lefties in big spots and that can't happen at the major league level."

Wow, I agree that is a strong quote. Maybe frustration since they gave up Baumann in order to keep Akin. Very fortunate he didn't cost us the game.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, that was notably direct for Hyde.  It was pretty clear from the first batter that Akin didn’t have it.   Also, the pitch on Wednesday wasn’t middle middle, it was at the bottom of the strike zone but middle of the plate.  I’d call it a below average pitch but not a terrible one.  

image.thumb.jpeg.af87e506903f989ec2d713e6324c0f45.jpeg

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty much expect him to be optioned today after that quote but we'll see. The problem for me is he had the guy 1-2 and could have thrown something out if the zone. Why a low fastball in the zone?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Pretty much expect him to be optioned today after that quote but we'll see. The problem for me is he had the guy 1-2 and could have thrown something out if the zone. Why a low fastball in the zone?

Just missed location, I assume.  He had no control of the slider yesterday.   He generally only throws the fastball/slider to LH hitters.

He spotted fastball in, fastball out, then missed badly with the slider.   The batter probably not too worried about the slider at that point because of Akins inability to locate it.   If Rutschman and Akin thought he was looking slider and a fastball would freeze him, not too smart.   Otherwise, it was still 1-2, they probably should have gone fastball top of the zone.  Maybe that was the plan and Akin just missed.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Easily the most underrated Oriole.  His 56 IP at a 3.34 ERA are only 14 fewer IP than Suarez.  Heck of a year.  

Please. He's good for garbage time innings- up big or down big. He can't pitch in high leverage situations. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d assume Akin will be back as the corresponding move for Grayson. Hopefully he’s a bit rested and has a little chip on his shoulder. 

I agree. Last night I was thinking Baker but I bet it’s Akin.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I agree. Last night I was thinking Baker but I bet it’s Akin.  

Should be Akin, only 2LH in the pen. Thats why I did not get Smith move last night. If youre going to option Akin all RH including Smith are going to have to face more LH hitters.

I think our pitching situation is so dire that you have to consider stretching Akin out in AAA. I know his numbers against righties are bad……they need to focus on that while he’s extending his MiL outings. We need to start preparing for the next major injury to the rotation. It can get even worse.