Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

He may not be as minute to minute dialed in what is going on with Coby Mayo as some of us here, but ESPN Kiley McDaniel previewing the Futures Game went for a "should debut in the next 12 months" descriptor on Basallo, though he did hedge it by saying catcher defense skill acquisition could slow it.     

Also on Basallo's perhaps long term opponents Xavier Isaac in TB and Spencer Jones in NYY as plus plus power guys.

16 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Depends if the Robo ump starts.

They are already moving away from the full robo-ump model to the limited challenge model, so framing is going to continue to be important.  And blocking is extremely important.  I’ve read that Basallo has significant weaknesses there.  

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Better arm than Adley isn’t that high a bar.  The other aspects of his catching reportedly need a lot of work.  

Baseball Prospectus came out with their mid season top 50 with recent draftees on it. 

3 Holliday

5 Mayo

12 Basallo

Basallo was 12 with two recent draftees ahead of him. So we had 3 guys in the top 10. That’s not top 5, but that’s pretty darn close.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why do people keep saying Basallo is the next #1 when Mayo is already #5?

Because he will be in the minors longer (between now and when they both come up).  Mayo isn’t going to be in the minors long enough to get to 1 but he could.

I do think it is possible all three stay in off-season lists.    

Basically right now the 2023 action I think of previewing 2024 actions with Holliday-Mayo is the one where in September you knew Kjerstad not Cowser was going to get the sip of coffee because Cowser already had 43 days of service time during July-August.     So Cowser got to be the one to anchor Norfolk's championship run and make memories in Las Vegas.

Trade deadline down to 8 days.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Because he will be in the minors longer (between now and when they both come up).  Mayo isn’t going to be in the minors long enough to get to 1 but he could.

If mayo is down another month and change, he would still be eligible. Just like with Gunnar at the end of 2022. I wouldn’t be overly confident that Mayo will be up before then given that we don’t have an obvious roster opening and his defense is supposedly continuing to be unsteady. 

Tony-OH
This post was recognized by Tony-OH!

CHIP was awarded the badge 'Great statistically backed post' and 5 points.

With as poorly as Handley/Hunt have been playing since the Trade that brought Hunt to O's system and sent Perez (released two weeks ago) and Bauman (traded for Cash a couple weeks ago) to Seattle... along with how poorly Ardois is playing in AA and how Willems is in A+ (Don't let the occasional HR fool you before his groin/hamstring issue with recent IL stint)...  I thought I would take a peek at Baseball-Reference on what Basallo does at C, 1B and DH.  It is a pretty easy sort to get these of of BR:

DH:  26 games, 103 PA, 97 AB, 23 Hits.  0.223 AVG/ 0.272 OBP/ .340 SLG / 0.612 OPS

Catcher:  30 games, 131 PA, 113 AB, 28 Hits.    0.214 AVG/ 0.344 OBP/ .469 SLG / 0.813 OPS

1B:  22 games, 93 PA, 87 AB, 30 Hits.  0.323 AVG/ 0.387 OBP/ .517 SLG / 0.904 OPS

His first 8 games were DH then a mix until 20.  12 of 19 were at DH and 7 were at 1B.  Since catching started, 30G at C, 14 @ DH, and 15@1B.  

His numbers (ALL COLUMNS) are best at 1B but his AVG is worst at C.  (his HR numbers and BB numbers really help with his C numbers which came after his 'cold' start also.  But if the intent is for him to catch and give Adley a rest...  Are we expecting his BB/K ratio to stay the same skipping (as some twitter twits suggest) AAA?  Do we expect his AA power and OBP numbers to stay the same when he is catching in MLB?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CHIP said:

With as poorly as Handley/Hunt have been playing since the Trade that brought Hunt to O's system and sent Perez (released two weeks ago) and Bauman (traded for Cash a couple weeks ago) to Seattle... along with how poorly Ardois is playing in AA and how Willems is in A+ (Don't let the occasional HR fool you before his groin/hamstring issue with recent IL stint)...  I thought I would take a peek at Baseball-Reference on what Basallo does at C, 1B and DH.  It is a pretty easy sort to get these of of BR:

DH:  26 games, 103 PA, 97 AB, 23 Hits.  0.223 AVG/ 0.272 OBP/ .340 SLG / 0.612 OPS

Catcher:  30 games, 131 PA, 113 AB, 28 Hits.    0.214 AVG/ 0.344 OBP/ .469 SLG / 0.813 OPS

1B:  22 games, 93 PA, 87 AB, 30 Hits.  0.323 AVG/ 0.387 OBP/ .517 SLG / 0.904 OPS

His first 8 games were DH then a mix until 20.  12 of 19 were at DH and 7 were at 1B.  Since catching started, 30G at C, 14 @ DH, and 15@1B.  

His numbers (ALL COLUMNS) are best at 1B but his AVG is worst at C.  (his HR numbers and BB numbers really help with his C numbers which came after his 'cold' start also.  But if the intent is for him to catch and give Adley a rest...  Are we expecting his BB/K ratio to stay the same skipping (as some twitter twits suggest) AAA?  Do we expect his AA power and OBP numbers to stay the same when he is catching in MLB?

His numbers at DH could be down if he was DH’ing early in the season when he was getting over that injury. Could just be a coincidence too, since he had a bad first month or so. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His numbers at DH could be down if he was DH’ing early in the season when he was getting over that injury. Could just be a coincidence too, since he had a bad first month or so. 

Honestly, Basallo hasn't been raking for much of the year. He did have a good June (.894 OPS), but no other month has been above .800 and he's been terrible in 11 games in July. 

Yes, I know. Age/level/small sample size. All true. I'm just saying that "the cold start ruined his numbers" line is being overtaken by the fact that he's just not killing that level. I'm hoping he really goes on a heater in August because he's not exactly forcing the O's hand at this point.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=basall000sam&type=bgl&year=2024

• Upvote 1