Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His numbers at DH could be down if he was DH’ing early in the season when he was getting over that injury. Could just be a coincidence too, since he had a bad first month or so. 

The DH numbers were mostly from early in the year when he wasn't allowed to throw due to the elbow. His slow start could have been because of the lack of offseason due to the elbow as well.

Saying that, Basallo is holding his own against AA pitching though not putting up the consistent power yet, but that will come. I've seen him take some pretty good at bats of late even though the numbers have not been great in July. 

He still has a great future.

10 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Nobody moved. Everyone was just in Awe of that one. WOW. 

Man, he’s the favorite of mine out of the big 3. Idk, I feel like that is controversial sometimes. He plays the most premium position on the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

396 feet. That’s a baby homer for Basallo.

Yeah, that might be a wall scraper to LCF or RCF but pulled to RF where the fence is 340-360 it looks pretty sweet.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Eric Longenhagen has him up to #4 MLB-wide on his BOARD refresh including 2024 draftees updated this afternoon at Fangraphs.

He will be #1 by end of year.  He’s a 🦄

7 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He will be #1 by end of year.  He’s a 🦄

He won’t be #1 unless he starts hitting. At this point, I assumed he would have been in AAA but I also assumed he would hit better too. 

His bat is what will carry him and while it’s still good right now, it’s not #1 prospect good.

• Upvote 1

I was at the Akron/Bowie game last night, and Basallo was doing something I've never seen a catcher do before. He'd give the pitcher a target with his glove, then drop his glove to the dirt, then bring it back up to catch the ball. He failed to catch a few pitches cleanly and that seemed to me to be the reason why. I'm no expert on playing catcher, so maybe someone who is can tell me if there's a good reason to do that? Just seems to me it makes it harder for the pitcher to hit his spots and harder to catch the ball.

16 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I was at the Akron/Bowie game last night, and Basallo was doing something I've never seen a catcher do before. He'd give the pitcher a target with his glove, then drop his glove to the dirt, then bring it back up to catch the ball. He failed to catch a few pitches cleanly and that seemed to me to be the reason why. I'm no expert on playing catcher, so maybe someone who is can tell me if there's a good reason to do that? Just seems to me it makes it harder for the pitcher to hit his spots and harder to catch the ball.

Thats how you frame.  You bring the ball up into the zone.  If your glove is set at target and then you go down for the low pitch momentum and gravity will carry the glove and ball lower and out of the zone.  Same with inside/outside pieces, if you show target and move out towards the edge of plate, momentum will carry glove & ball further away. Catchers are taught the show target first, then drop glove down and catch the ball with a motioning coming up.  Same for inside/outside pitch’s, the glove will start further away and then you catch it with a motion bringing it into zone.   It’s much more difficult to do hence the missed ball (a lot of that at lower levels).  The very good framers do it effortlessly and smoothly and can bring the ball into zone for strikes.  Gone are the days of “stick it” & turn your wrist.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He won’t be #1 unless he starts hitting. At this point, I assumed he would have been in AAA but I also assumed he would hit better too. 

His bat is what will carry him and while it’s still good right now, it’s not #1 prospect good.

I think he’s going to catch fire.  He had to cut training in off-season/spring training from the stress fracture. Then had to get strength back & adjust to timing at the higher level.  I think we will see him go off remainder of season assuming he’s healthy.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Thats how you frame.  You bring the ball up into the zone.  If your glove is set at target and then you go down for the low pitch momentum and gravity will carry the glove and ball lower and out of the zone.  Same with inside/outside pieces, if you show target and move out towards the edge of plate, momentum will carry glove & ball further away. Catchers are taught the show target first, then drop glove down and catch the ball with a motioning coming up.  Same for inside/outside pitch’s, the glove will start further away and then you catch it with a motion bringing it into zone.   It’s much more difficult to do hence the missed ball (a lot of that at lower levels).  The very good framers do it effortlessly and smoothly and can bring the ball into zone for strikes.  Gone are the days of “stick it” & turn your wrist.  

Huh. All the way to the dirt? I hadn't noticed, but I haven't watched a lot of baseball lately, and certainly haven't been paying extra attention to the catcher.

6 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Huh. All the way to the dirt? I hadn't noticed, but I haven't watched a lot of baseball lately, and certainly haven't been paying extra attention to the catcher.

Yes.  For a pitch that is 2-3” below the zone you need to start at the dirt or you won’t be able to come up through it. 

It’s extremely difficult. And it’s extremely important.  That’s why catchers receiving ability is so critical.  I’ve heard folks say that in order of importance receiving is 90%, blocking is 8%, throwing is 2%.  If you can’t receive no one cares if you can black or have an accurate cannon.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Thanks 3