Holliday called up!

jcaponio

22 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I agree it was a head scratcher and said as much.  Again I wouldn’t have done it.  But folks made a big deal out of a very minor move like it was a life or death situation.  It means absolutely zero in the long run.  I get we all need things to talk about, but the random 1 week Tony kemp signing got a lot of play. 

Well I don't think anyone is calling for Elias' head for signing Kemp, but I do think it's entirely fine to discuss the merits or maybe more precisely, the need for the move. I agree with you that losing $280K ish of money is no big deal, but it just seemed entirely unnecessary if they had planned to bring Holliday up this early.  

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

My read: Kemp bought Elias an extra two weeks to give Holliday AAA reps and get a look at the ROY race. 

Isn't Kemp guaranteed the full $1 million, not a prorated amount if he's released? That's what Spotrac seems to imply. If it were just he makes 35% more than minimum during the time he is here, then that's not a big deal, but the full $1 million implies he was not intended to hold a temporary spot.

4 minutes ago, deward said:

Just pushing back a little on the philosophy of just assuming a smart person is doing something smart, even though what they're doing doesn't seem to make sense. That might turn out to be true, but it's ok to question it. 

i don't think anyone is saying not to question them, certainly not me. that's one of the purposes of this discussion board, people who like basically over analyzing it to death. 

But you definitely can assume elias and co are doing smart things, even if you don't get it. That of course doesn't make everything they do right or smart, but i'd assume i just don't get it before i assume they did something dumb. Discussion analysis ensues from there. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Now maybe this was all about trying to get him off to a good start in his major league career, but then why sign Kemp? Why not bring him up after the off day yesterday to face the righty today? 

Why bring him up in the middle of a series? Something is just not right here. The timing doesn't make sense.

I truly think they didn't want the Game 1 to be with the Fenway opening day crowd.     

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This reminds me how @Tony-OH got when Elias cornered the market on AAAA catchers back in 2022.  😉

Ah yes, the amazing chess playing Elias showed the rest of baseball by cornering the market on AAAA catchers that did nothing for the team that year or the future. :D

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I don't think anyone is calling for Elias' head for signing Kemp, but I do think it's entire fine to discuss the merits or maybe more precisely, the need for the move. I agree with you that losing $280K ish of money is no big deal, but it just seemed entirely unnecessary if they had planned to bring Holliday up this early.  

Kemp made a helluva sliding catch today. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

So we gained zero extra years and likely no effect on the ROY race, and could have easily gained an extra win if he is playing form the start and not Kemp/Urias?

I get that, but I also think the development over a player who will play 1000 games is more important than winning 1 early season game.

If thats what its for, is not the long term development of a player more important than a couple of games at the end of 7 years?

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Isn't Kemp guaranteed the full $1 million, not a prorated amount if he's released? That's what Spotrac seems to imply. If it were just he makes 35% more than minimum during the time he is here, then that's not a big deal, but the full $1 million implies he was not intended to hold a temporary spot.

Maybe Rubenstein meddled, and it was incomprehensible to Elias he'd be allowed to move on that easily!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I don't think anyone is calling for Elias' head for signing Kemp, but I do think it's entire fine to discuss the merits or maybe more precisely, the need for the move. I agree with you that losing $280K ish of money is no big deal, but it just seemed entirely unnecessary if they had planned to bring Holliday up this early.  

Completely agree.  The Kemp signing was super odd.

I do think they had this date on the calendar entire time, though.  

22 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

Count me in with the, "I'll never understand the Kemp signing," side of things -- but it doesn't put a big dent on the GM's rep.

My guess is, even Elias, who attends so many games home and away, couldn't stomach another at bat where Kemp looks slow and overwhelmed. 

I think that's where most of us stand on the Kemp signing. It made no sense and it wasn't necessary.

"Necessary? Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No, but it's sanitary and I like the taste!" 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2