Is Our Young Players Somewhat Overrated?

ORIOLE33

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I didn't mean to hit a nerve. Lol From here and a few other places, I know I'm in the very small minority. But I'm still waiting for one of these guys to turn into a legitimate superstar that feared. I just don't see that with Adley and Gunnar. Good players, but nothing special. 

If you can’t see “special” in Gunnar Henderson, then I suggest A) either watching more baseball or B) watching some of his MANY highlights from last season.

Just curious would you be willing to name 5 short stops that would rather have in MLB than Gunnar? 

All I can come up with are a Wit, Bitchette, Seager, Betts. Maybe I’m missing someone? And some of those can be argued. But the list is VERY short.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If you can’t see “special” in Gunnar Henderson, then I suggest A) either watching more baseball or B) watching some of his MANY highlights from last season.

Just curious would you be willing to name 5 short stops that would rather have in MLB than Gunnar? 

All I can come up with are a Wit, Bitchette, Seager, Betts. Maybe I’m missing someone? And some of those can be argued. But the list is VERY short.

I think Bichette would be the over rated one in that group, though he is very good. I’d take Gunnar over Witt too, though he’s off to a great start this year.

34 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There’s no way I’d take Bichette over Gunnar.  Not even close. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am tired of hearing about Gunnar and Adley at the expense of the MANY other excellent players on the team, like Santander, Mountcastle, Cedric, particularly Cedric. This guy was a 30/30 player a couple of seasons ago and last year was easily the most productive player on the team until he got hurt, now he gets yanked around in the lineup.

Gunnar has been given the leadoff spot in order to maximize his number of at bats at the expense of Cedric and the team. Gunnar is NOT a leadoff hitter which is why the only time the Orioles score in the first inning is when Gunnar hits a homerun, which has happened once. OTOH he has made an out on the very first pitch at least 5 times, NOT what a leadoff hitter does. Cedric is also an accomplished bunter that gets him on base, he steals and gives the meat of the lineup the chance to drive him in. You gonna ask Gunnar to BUNT?

No. Gunnar should be hitting third. This is where you bat your hitter that is the best combination of power and average. Currently this is Gunnar. Hyde has too much of a man crush on Gunnar to think clearly on this. Both players and the team would be more productive by putting Cedric back at leadoff and Gunnar at the 3 spot.