Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

I’m a huge Santander fan like many people here and would sign him to a 3 year deal if he would take it but he’s not taking 3 years unless he really loves the O’s that much/doesn’t want to leave and is okay with leaving a lot of money on the table. I wouldn’t want to be paying him for the 4th and 5th seasons.

If Avisaíl García can get a 4 year deal then Santander can easily get at least 4 years.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Frobby said it right..he makes every catch he can. I agree with that.

However, there are a lot of balls he doesn’t get to that someone with better range does.

You used the words “really good”.  He’s not really good. He doesn’t have the range to be “really good”.

What he does do is make the plays he should make and is fundamentally sound.  He has also improved defensively from where he was a few years ago, although I think that has more to do with him being healthier.

What I’ve noticed in particular is he is getting better jumps coming in on bloop fly balls.  He used to really frustrate me by how slow he was to react coming in.  But he’s made several nice catches charging in on balls this year.  

35 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

I’m a huge Santander fan like many people here and would sign him to a 3 year deal if he would take it but he’s not taking 3 years unless he really loves the O’s that much/doesn’t want to leave and is okay with leaving a lot of money on the table. I wouldn’t want to be paying him for the 4th and 5th seasons.

If Avisaíl García can get a 4 year deal then Santander can easily get at least 4 years.

And that is a deal that universally looked at as a giant mistake.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Frobby said it right..he makes every catch he can. I agree with that.

However, there are a lot of balls he doesn’t get to that someone with better range does.

You used the words “really good”.  He’s not really good. He doesn’t have the range to be “really good”.

What he does do is make the plays he should make and is fundamentally sound.  He has also improved defensively from where he was a few years ago, although I think that has more to do with him being healthier.

Which is really all you can ask.  Add on his hitting and club house leadership?

And I will take credit for starting this phrase because I saw it recently on Camden Chat and I said it many months ago....."Pay that man his money!"  

And yes I know athletes getting paid millions a year to play a kids game is ridiculous.  But it is what it is.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 1

By all accounts,  Santander is very dedicated to taking care of his body in the off season and is very serious about maintaining peak physical condition.  This is evidenced in his performance on the field and limited missed time due to injury.   Everybody is subject to injury,  but there are things people can due to minimize risks.   I think Santander is doing those things.   He would be worth at least a 3 year contract. 

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

By all accounts,  Santander is very dedicated to taking care of his body in the off season and is very serious about maintaining peak physical condition.  This is evidenced in his performance on the field and limited missed time due to injury.   Everybody is subject to injury,  but there are things people can due to minimize risks.   I think Santander is doing those things.   He would be worth at least a 3 year contract. 

And besides,  if Santander walks,  he takes Brandon Quinonez with him and I'm not ready to lose Q.

45 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

And I will take credit for starting this phrase because I saw it recently on Camden Chat and I said it many months ago....."Pay that man his money!"  

And yes I know athletes getting paid millions a year to play a kids game is ridiculous.  But it is what it is.

That’s fine.  I wouldn’t consider signing him UNLESS he signs for no more than 3 years, no more than 20M per, Kjerstad is traded and ownership deems that money to not matter in future payroll and other extensions.

That’s a perfect storm of things that need to happen and I’m extremely skeptical of all of those things coming together at once.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul in Virginia said:

“I want to stay here,” Santander reiterated today in the visiting clubhouse at Rogers Centre. “This is the team that gave me the opportunity to play in the big leagues. I like where we are right now. We are a really good team. This team is about to get in a World Series soon – hopefully this year. Of course I would like to stay here for the rest of my career. But it’s out of my hands. Just get ready for today’s game and go for the win, you know. But at the same time, so happy and thank you for the fans that want me to stay here.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/anthony-santander-reiterates-he-d-like-to-stay-an-oriole-thanks-fans-for-support

Edited by Roll Tide

I love Santander and I think he is one of the most valuable players on the team.  If we make it to the World Series this season, it will probably be because Santander hit some key bombs and played excellent defense in right field.

But I think we need to make him a qualifying offer and let someone else sign him, and have Kjerstad take over in RF next season.  There will probably be an initial drop-off in productivity, but I think Kjerstad can eventually replace Santander's production at the plate, if not in the field. 

I think Rubinstein will spend more than the Angelos family did in the later years, but still there will be a budget constraint, and I think that budget needs to go to pitching.   Elias has built up the best collection of position player prospects that any organization has had in many years.  The O's need to trust those guys and spend their money on veteran pitching.  

With offense down around baseball its possible Santander could get 5 years in free agency. Seems unlikely he'll extend here for anything team friendly. Which to me is two years.  I like Santander and the season he's having, but the O's have some replacements for him. I'll still be sad to see him go, but he'll be 30 next year and that's when players begin to rapidly decline.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine.  I wouldn’t consider signing him UNLESS he signs for no more than 3 years, no more than 20M per, Kjerstad is traded and ownership deems that money to not matter in future payroll and other extensions.

That’s a perfect storm of things that need to happen and I’m extremely skeptical of all of those things coming together at once.

Exactly.  The whole point of Elias building up the talent pipeline in the minors is to use younger, cheaper, talented, team-controlled prospects to replace aging and expensive veterans.  I love Santander, but smart teams get rid of players one year early rather than one year too late...

And like you said, I'd be ok with 3 year/$60M for him...but it makes more sense to use that money towards pitching and plug in Kjerstad into RF.

16 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You’ll take credit for the best Teddy KGB line in Rounders?