Ryan O’Hearn 2024

Frobby

Just now, Frobby said:

Many people dismissed 2023, but thus far in 2024 he’s looking every bit as good: .314/.400/.600 in 40 PA.  And he’s only struck out 4 times.  

He's hitting the ball hard, too, which is a good sign.

He's been awesome. Super reliable and confident ABs. I am in no rush to jettison him for a rookie as long as he's producing. 

If I have one qualm it's that he's missed a play each (that I can remember) at 1B and RF that I think Mounty and Santander would have made. 

Edited by interloper

I was skeptical that last year was for real, given that he fell back to earth quite a bit in the 2nd half.  And while it's a bit too early to crown him yet, he's looking very good so far. I hope he can keep it up and we can either start considering him a long term piece and can trade some of the youth that may end up playing first or can trade him for a nice haul if Elias thinks that's better. 

52 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's been awesome. Super reliable and confident ABs. I am in no rush to jettison him for a rookie as long as he's producing. 

If I have one qualm it's that he's missed a play each (that I can remember) at 1B and RF that I think Mounty and Santander would have made. 

The missed play in the of was rated a potential 5-star catch by Statcast.   O’Hearn got a good jump, took a good route, is faster than Santander, had his glove hand on the best side for that catch, but looked awkward going up for it.   It’s very doubtful Santander makes that play.

Just now, RZNJ said:

The missed play in the of was rated a potential 5-star catch by Statcast.   O’Hearn got a good jump, took a good route, is faster than Santander, had his glove hand on the best side for that catch, but looked awkward going up for it.   It’s very doubtful Santander makes that play.

Hmm ok, that's fair. Yeah it was just the awkwardness about it, like he just couldn't quite figure out what to do at the last second. Good to know it was a tougher play than I thought at the time. 

As much as I like O'Hearn, I do think the O's should at least consider trading him while his value is high and to free up space for Kjerstad or Mayo (unless the O's find a very good pitcher that might cost them Kjerstad or Mayo).

But there is a risk that whoever replaces O'Hearn will take time to adjust.  On top of that I'm not sure how much O'Hearn has since he's really a platoon DH.  

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Statast has still not changed that. It was plotted correctly at more of a 2-star catch, but somehow gave it a 25% chance of catching it. O'Hearn took a bad route and ball ended up behind his glove as he awkwardly pulled up because he as scared of crashing into the wall.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=4b563eb2-f04f-40cc-833f-27946212bdd0

Nobody could watch that play and think it was a 5-star catch with a 25% catch probability. It's obviously was an error in the catch probability score.

This is what a real 5-star catch looks like..

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=f63d2370-55d3-4199-90b9-285317203e4c

I'm not sure why some of the catch probabilities don't match the plot. The plots seem more accurate.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Statast has still not changed that. It was plotted correctly at more of a 2-star catch, but somehow gave it a 25% chance of catching it. O'Hearn took a bad route and ball ended up behind his glove as he awkwardly pulled up because he as scared of crashing into the wall.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=4b563eb2-f04f-40cc-833f-27946212bdd0

Nobody could watch that play and think it was a 5-star catch with a 25% catch probability. It's obviously was an error in the catch probability score.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=f63d2370-55d3-4199-90b9-285317203e4c

I'm not sure why some of the catch probabilities don't match the plot. The plots seem more accurate.

There is something weird about how they are reporting it. The header is - Maikel Garcia triples (1) on a sharp fly ball to center fielder Cedric Mullins. Nick Loftin scores.

That wasn't near Mullins's ball. I get that he had to pick it up because the ball went over O'Hearns head, but it should not be called fly ball to Cedric Mullins.

Edited by Malike

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Can’t trust that Statcast data anymore, Tony.   😁

If they can screw one up then who knows how many more they could get wrong?

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can’t trust that Statcast data anymore, Tony.   😁

If they can screw one up then who knows how many more they could get wrong?

I actually have been looking and there's a play for Cowser that was really a two-star nice catch that had a 5-sta catch probability. And low and behold, he got credit for making a 5-star catch, yet it wasn't. Something is up. I don't see a way to contact anyone anymore.